| three

『 chapter three 』03| miscommunication errors

chapter three
03| miscommunication errors

The Gilmore girls never stayed until closing, Luke was too generous with his opening times that he always forgot to shut at a reasonable time.

Rory Gilmore collected her bag from the back of her chair, scooping her open book into her small hands.

"Are you leaving now?" Her startling aqua eyes rested on the keys I fiddled with in my hands.

"Yeah," I followed her to the door, switching off the light and smacking the open sign against the door to read closed.

Rory waited for me on the dimly lit pavement, the door creaking to a close as I locked it. "Hey, did you want to walk together?"

The girl and I had barely exchanged a couple of sentences, however, I decided now would be a good time as any to make a new friend.

So, I nodded.

Rory's house was across the street from mine, which should've automatically made us some sort of friends. Obviously, it hadn't.

"Are you excited to meet Luke's nephew?" I brought up the most recent thing in my mind, hoping to spark some conversation and lessen the awkwardness.

"He's coming over for dinner," she nodded gently, "It would be weird if they had a similar dress sense."

A laugh echoed in my throat, "I can't imagine a little Luke serving people coffee in a flannel shirt and baseball cap."

"A backwards one too." Rory added, the both of us giggling together. "I think it's good for Luke. He treats you like a daughter but he doesn't have much responsibility for you."

It was my turn to nod, "Time for Luke to brush up on his parenting skills."

There wasn't too much to talk about between us, there was still an air of awkward tension. It would take some more than dull conversation to knead that.

"I'll see you at Luke's tomorrow?" Rory waved at me, her feet planted to her lawn.

I glanced across the street before crossing over in the direction of my own home, "As always."

Dean waiting at the bus stop was an odd sight to marvel at early in the morning, I had skipped work so I could get to school earlier to cram for an exam later on.

The beams of visible light casted a funny shadow of him against the pavement slabs, he looked like a muppet.

"Oh my god," My voice grew suddenly dramatic, "Is that the bag boy from Doose's Market?"