| six

『 chapter six 』06| lover's quarrel

chapter six
06| lover's quarrel

Neon yellow text pressed into Jess' black t-shirt reading 'Metallica' across his shoulders didn't impress his uncle.

In fact, Luke had no business keeping tight lipped, he spoke his mind. Even if he should have kept half of it under his over worn hat. "What the hell is that?"

A dollar bill was in his hand, he had been disrupted from counting my wages when his nephew had graced us with his presence.

"It's my Metallica shirt." Jess shrugged, not caring what his outdated, flannel wearing, backwards cap enthusiast uncle thought of it.

I shook my head, "Kids these days."

As for myself, I sported a lilac dress with matching buttons all the way down the centre, stopping at mid thigh and complimented by large shouldered sleeves. Mom had actually picked it out for me, despite her visual impairment.

"You are a kid," Jess tutted, crossing his arms in protest as if Luke and I were his parents. I certainly didn't like feeling old.

Luke resumed his counting, finally stopping on $60. "That's just for now, you'll get the rest at the end of this week."

I never usually asked Luke for payments midweek, but I wanted to buy Macy something special for her birthday. After all, she was practically my best friend. Absent or not. "Thank you."

I pinged Luke's cap with my finger before heading off toward the front door. Jess ran to my side, "Are you walking to school?"

"I was going to go shopping first," I smiled easily, knowing Jess would never agree to come with me for that.

Jess nodded in distaste, "Have fun with that, I'll just get there early and read my book alone then."

If it were the guilt card he was pulling, it wouldn't work. My fist slammed into his shoulder softly, "And you have fun with that."

Stars Hollow was small, it wasn't hard to come to that conclusion, however if Doose's Market seemed to be the only shop in sight you'd be wrong.

There were a string of small boutiques lining the town center. I just had to figure out what to buy the girl who had pretty much everything.

What I decided on after half an hour of looking, was a leopard print scrap book that tied together to keep the rigid covers from flapping about. In addition, I bought a glue stick and a disposable camera; all combined in a pre wrapped box.