| twelve

『 chapter twelve 』12| cupcakes and milkshakes

chapter twelve
12| cupcakes and milkshakes

This morning's brief stroll to school with Jess was all my daily dose was willing to offer, considering that I made it throughout the rest of the day not even passing him in the hall.

When I made it home it wasn't long before I was ushered in front of four mixing bowls and an alarming amount of baking ingredients. "Now, just how many cakes are we making?"

Mom had finished fastening my apron with a grin she turned to face me once she had rounded the kitchen island. "Enough to sell for charity. Don't worry, we do have a helping hand."

"If it's dad I think he'll eat them all before they make it to the gala." I slid my fingertip over the recipe before me, it was mom's special cupcake recipe that she barely had time to bake anymore.

"It's not your father." Mom began to measure the ingredients into a bowl. She made sure not to pour too much even if she could just toss it back. That impulsiveness of mine to make every mistake out of carelessness was where we differentiated. She caught me staring into her ageing eyes and offered a gentle smile, "They won't be here for a little while, they're currently running an errand."

My mom had a lot of friends, many of which I had only met in passing, all thanks to her husband being the Sheriff I assumed. Not all the credit could be attributed to her husband's success though, she had a certain charisma everyone wished to obtain and if not for themselves, they settled through her.

Following in her footsteps, I too began measuring and pouring my ingredients, attempting to mimic the slightest bit of self control that I could. In good time we had mixed up two bowls of cupcake batter.

Mom secretly liked the fact that food colouring was labelled with the colour rather than dependent on the colour of the tub. I could tell by the way she kept double checking the tubs spread out on the counter, a recurring inventory to make sure she had selected the correct ones.

"So, Jess?" Mom pretended to whistle after her words as if her tight pink lips had not uttered a single word. I watched her pour the batter into cases with a glimmer of annoyance in my eye.

I should've expected the interrogation from Sheriff Xander O'Neal, not his cupcake baking wife. That was mean, my mother had every right to interrogate me. In fact, she was more than qualified just by being my mother.

"What about him?"

Her eyes lit up when I answered her question. "Are you two getting along?"

I took the mixing bowl she had just emptied of batter to the sink, mulling over her question for too long apparently, she cleared her throat to provoke a quicker response. "I guess."