| two

『 chapter two 』02| a sudden change

chapter two
02| a sudden change

Luke's eyes were glued to the shabby door since opening time this morning, I would know, I've been waiting tables ever since.

Usually, he'd at least stack the doughnuts on top of one another, or refill the coffee jugs for me.

Yet today he was out of it.

My patience was having none of it. I fisted the handles of the two coffee jugs I had refilled for the fifth time, then slammed them in front of him.

"Hey!" Luke's eyebrows sunk into his eye sockets.

"Oh, you're alive?" I pretended to be shocked, "I was just about to call my dad about the coffee shop corpse."

He waved me off, his flannel shirt raising with his hand. "This is a diner."

"So, why does it only matter when Lorelai is ordering coffee?" I walked away from him to return to my job.

"You're too witty to be working here!" Luke called after me, spooking the man I was pouring a fresh cup for.

God blessed Luke, Lorelai waltzed through the door just how he expected her to.

The mother and daughter duo took a seat at their usual table, where I pulled my usual stunt of serving them before Luke could.

For once, I did something other than pull a straight face at the girls. "Luke's been waiting for you two to come in here all morning."

"You hear that mom?" Rory's mouth curled up pleasantly, "Luke likes us."

I wasn't so sure about the 'us' part, the 'like' was definitely strong for one of the Gilmore girls.

Lorelai cupped her coffee with a grin, "Ooh, tell me more."

Unfortunately, Luke dragged me away by the bow on my apron that he had tied for me. "No chit chatting on the job."

"You're a hypocrite." I pressed my hand to my hip.

Luke swiftly pointed to the sign out front hanging from the top of the building, with his letters clearly on the coffee mug. "I can afford to be. Until that yellow sign out there says your name on it, you have to listen to me be a hypocrite as you work."

My palm tapped his face gently a couple of times, my toes bending so I could reach his height. "If you really want me to."