| eleven

『 chapter eleven 』11| subtle

chapter eleven
11| subtle

Jess couldn't take his eyes off of me, even with Luke walking through the door. "Put your shirt on!" I rushed him, too afraid of Luke reacting like a dad if he caught me with his nephew half naked.

Amusement was present on his face, it winked at me through the whites of his eyes. "Are you scared of Luke?"

"Sex talk." Was all I could whisper. It felt as if I were the first girl to be slaughtered in a horror movie. Every step Luke took made me want to jump out of my skin.

"What?" Jess furrowed his brows, clearly confused. Still, his head managed to find the hole for his shirt. That gave me a little peace of mind.

Attempting to comb through my damp hair with my fingertips would only worsen the state it was in, therefore I decided to leave myself alone before I gave myself away. "Luke will have the sex talk, Jess!"

The gorgeous boy before me erupted into muted giggles between short gasps of breath. His whole face lit up, his smile spreading warmth across my body.

"Jess, could you at least answer me?" Luke stopped short in his tracks, a little surprised to find me standing in the second room of the apartment. "What are you doing here, kiddo'?"

Naturally, I hadn't been hanging out at Luke's as much as I had before Jess had moved in. After all, Jess had picked up some of my extra shifts which left me with more time away from Luke's than ever before. However, it comforted me to witness my hair ties still wrapped around the door handles just the way I had left them.

"Jess decided to drag me into the river today." I gestured to my wet body with a grim smile, secretly replaying the days events in my mind. "Your place was closer. And you have coffee."

"That we do." Luke eyed Jess up for a moment, judging our proximity for a while until he approved the couple metre distance between us in his mind. "Why don't you kids come downstairs when you're dry? I just came up to check, a customer saw someone climbing the fire escape. Just thought I'd check it out."

It was quite funny that Luke was open to the idea of a burglar in Stars Hollow, as if anyone from out of town would bother entering to steal from a cafe owner. Nevertheless, he kept to his word and left the apartment, leaving Jess and I alone once again.

Jess eyed the stack of books resting on his windowsill, sifting through the dozen to find something he wanted to immerse himself into for a while. I took the privilege to admire him from across the room, watching his eyes flicker over the spine of each book, prepared to take care of someone else's art.