| ten

『 chapter ten 』10| choices

chapter ten
10| choices

Ignoring Jess had been no easy feat. Considering that I worked below his living space, and I couldn't conjure up excuses to leave every time I saw him, especially not to his uncle. However, after a successful couple of days, I found myself proud of my efforts. So proud that there may have been a small skip in my step as I clambered my way into Luke's.

"Someone's cheerful," a hand poked at my shoulder as soon as I slumped into an empty stool in front of the counter.

Smiling in response, I watched as Luke filled up a mug of coffee only to place it in front of me. "How are you this morning?"

"Bitter as ever," Luke frowned at me, "your happiness isn't welcome."

I didn't know if I could officially tell Luke that I had only felt the slightest slither of happiness due to the absence of his nephew; I hadn't seen him even in passing. God knows how I'd feel when I next find myself in his presence.

As Luke teetered around the cafe, serving the little customers he had, I focused on scratching the numbers onto the sheet of math homework I had left until last minute. In a series of pencil marks and eraser filings, I pushed the paper aside in frustration.

"You know I'm pretty good at math." I side glanced Dean as he slid onto the stool beside me. His presence was unnecessary considering all the grief our previous encounters had only proved to offer.

Maybe I should've been glad that Dean was willing to be my friend. But the past couple of days had taught me too much, Dean only loitered for a reason. Perhaps he was waiting for Rory to jump ship, therefore by attaching himself to me he won't sink when Jess steals Rory's affections. Either way, the boy was bogus.

I hadn't noticed the emptiness of my mug until I attempted to sip in order to withhold a reply, only to realise I had used up all of my Dean avoiding resource. "Be my guest and take a look, I just need to grab a refill."

With my eyes peeled, to monitor Dean, I ducked around back to grab a coffee jug and serve myself. Dean's gaze shifted from my math papers to the journal lying underneath them, causing my hand to jerk the jug. Coffee spilled all over my white sneakers. I sighed and made a move to clean it up which only resulted in me losing my balance on a slippery floor. A firm grip from either sides of my hips steadied me into the rock solid frame of Jess. I knew it was him by the quick reflexes and the waft of the aftershave that set my body alight.

Making a move to talk didn't come to mind, I could only stare as he slowly twisted me around through his firm clutch on my body. His eyes pierced mine with the most intensity I had ever experienced. Not communicating with him at all had just caused me to experience a wave of withdrawal symptoms. None of which had caught up with me until he appeared.