Give it Your All

Do you know how hard it is to be super fast, smart, and strong, but not be able to show anyone exactly how smart, strong, and fast you actually are? Sure I'm pretty good at all my classes, but I could be far better, but that would blow my cover, so I just have to slow down a little, get questions wrong sometimes, and not punch, kick, hit, or fight my hardest.

"Looks like the new girl is slow!" I hear a voice yell as I fall further behind on the race track.

I look up and see Anna Cobbler, the girl who used to be so sweet, kind and caring, laughing at me. She wasn't the only one either. Her 'friends' Hansel and Gretel were with her, running beside her and laughing just as hard as she was.

"Come on newbie, you think just because Alva thinks your good you can slow down?" Hansel yells.

This has gone on long enough. I don't remember when it started or how, and I don't remember why they decided I would be a good target, but I was sick and tired of it. All of it.

"Come on slow girl! Give it your all! Or is this as fast as you can run?" Gretel shouts.

I'm not even in the back right now! These people just decided that I could use more stress in my life!

I feel a burning inside of me. It grew slowly and I knew that it was only a matter of time until I gave into it entirely.

I was sick of this. I may not know when this started but I knew when it was going to end. Now.

I put all of my focus and energy into the sound of my feet slamming into the ground with every step. Soon it gets faster and faster.

I pull ahead, now I'm so far in the front that I'm passing Anna, Hansel, and Gretel again and again every few minutes.

1 lap ahead of the group. 2 laps ahead. 5. 10. 30 laps ahead of everyone, and not slowing down anytime soon.

I pass Anna and her friends again and Gretel tries to trip me, but I hop over her foot and dodge when Anna tries to push me.

I was done with all of this. The yelling, the teasing, the insults.

The ground starts to smell like smoke under my feet.

"Heather! Slow down kid! You're setting the track on fire!" The couch yells to me, finally making my look behind me at the small fire I started from my running.

Anna, Hansel, and Gretel all look shocked. Good. They should be shocked. They should be scared. They should feel bad about the way they've been treating me, about the way I've heard them yelling at Jax, Kayla, Ollie, Maxine, and Jocelyn.

I keep hearing the teachers talking about how it's because Gilly died, but that's no excuse. Anna should know that Gilly wouldn't want this. She should know that this is bad and wrong. And she should know that I'm upset about it.

She will. She'll feel bad soon. She'll know you're upset soon. You know why.

I do know why. And when Anna finds out, I know she'll be mad. She'll be angry, but she'll also feel bad. I know it. I know it because I know a little secret.