Chapter 8

Varian set his sling on his shoulder as he walked out of the caravan the next morning.  He was immediately met with Vex leaning against the tree.  Smiling, he waved at her.  "Hey, Vex."

She stood up straight.  "I'm just here for the lay.  I didn't see a penny of it last night."

"Oh, I am so sorry.  I got caught up in all the drama I forgot!" Rapunzel came over with a sack of coins.  "There's a few extra in there for the wait."

Vex passed her an untrusting look, but shrugged.  She tried not to appear excited, but they could see straight through her.

"So what's this town going to do now that the Baron's gone?" Varian asked.

She shrugged.  "Ask that Weasel guy.  Since the Baron is no place to be found, long nose decided to take over.  At least the Baron left us alone.  So thank you all for making our lives easier," she said sarcastically.  "Better leave before there's an angry mob coming at you."

"We can't just leave the town like this!" Rapunzel cried.  "We caused this problem.  I mean, we didn't mean to but we did make things worse."

"So what are we going to do about it?" Cassandra asked.

"I think we should go talk to him," the princess stated.

"You can't talk sense into a nitwit because he doesn't have the brain power," Cassandra pointed out.

"Well, it's worth a shot," Varian said.  "If it doesn't work, we'll run him out."

"Yeah, but then what happens to this place?  What if it ends up being ran by someone worse?" Andrew pointed out.

"He's right.  You're outsiders.  The people don't want you here any longer," Vex said.

"Is there anyone that they look up to that we could trust the city to?" Varian asked.

Lance snapped his fingers.  "Eugene! Remember ol' Quaid?"

"Ah! How could I not?  He was the first one to put us in jail.  Nice man.  We had a game of capture and escape when we were kids," Eugene recalled.

"Oh, yeah.  The sheriff that retired when the Baron arrived," Vex said with little enthusiasm.

"Do you know where he is?" Rapunzel asked.

"Yep! But it's gonna cost ya," she said smugly.

Rapunzel pulled a coin out of her pocket. Vex smirked and bit it to make sure it was real.  Then she led them to a cottage on the outskirts of town.  "Welp.  We're here."

Cassandra knocked on the door.  "Captain Quaid?" She stood there, waiting.  After a moment, she looked at her sister and shook her head.  Rapunzel motioned for her to try again, but the door creaked open.

"Who is it?"

"It's Rapunzel and-"  The door slammed in her face.  "Well, that was... That was... Rude?"

"Told you.  No one wants you guys here," Vex retorted.

Rapunzel drew in a deep breath and knocked this time.  "Please, I just want to talk."

The door swung open.  He stepped aside to let them in.  "I have a feeling you won't leave me alone until we talk.  You have three minutes."

"Thank you." They entered.

"What is it?"

"How would you feel coming out of retirement and helping Vardaros back on its feet?" Rapunzel asked.

"No.  I retired for a reason.  There's no hope for this town," Quaid muttered.

"Well, you fit right in," Vex scoffed.