Chapter 1

Konya

Konya

As the years passed, the playful little girl became a strong and influential sultan. By raising her grandmother, Rümeysa became an upscale young woman in the Ottoman Empire. Safyie was happy with her. The young sultan has reached the age to marry a prestigious man who is a close friend and faithful subordinate of the sultan. Rümeysa rested riding in her apartment when her grandmother visited her. She bowed to her grandmother.

"Rümeysa, my beautiful sultana. Today is a great day. Your future husband is waiting for you in the inner garden."

"My future husband? Do I know him? Who is he?"

"Rüstem Pasha. The pasha is close to the sultan and a member of the Divan. He is a wealthy man and has been appointed governor of Amasya."

"I can't marry a man I haven't seen before. My heart is just beating for someone. I have been in love with Prince Mustafa since I was three years old."

"For women like you, love can never be realized. You are a sultana and you are marrying Rüstem Pasha."

Rümeysa finally walked into the inner garden, where the pasha was already waiting for her. Mustafa was the only one she had always loved. But did the prince feel the same way about her? Rümeysa put on a green dress that highlighted every line of her body. She wore emerald jewelry. She marched dignifiedly through the corridors of the palace towards the inner garden.

 " My name is Rümeysa sultana. I am the only daughter of Murad pasha and Ayse sultana. My family is one of the strongest allies of the ruler, Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. My prosperous grandfather, the great  Mehmet Grand Vezir the Great, who was the greatest man in the empire after the sultan. His courage and fighting spirit never left him. It is now my turn to deal with the dangers before me. Just like my grandmother, the unstoppable and admirable  Safyie sultana, and my unsuspecting mother, the  Ayse sultana, so I must follow them. I am brave like my father Murad and strong like my mother Ayse."

Pasha Rüstem couldn't get enough of Rümeysa's beauty. Safiye was not far from them. The sultana was finally comfortably seated in her chair. The servants offered her fresh sorbet. Rümeysa was like a Haseki Sultana in the eyes of the people. Even the pasha was dwarfed by her power. A strong soul that rebelled against marriage and a heart that only beat Prince Mustafa.

"Sultanim! Your beauty still impresses me today. You are an unparalleled beauty."

"Thank you for your kind words, Rüstem Pasha. My grandmother mentioned the marriage offer. Do you want to marry me, pasha?

"It would be no greater honor for me, Rümeysa!"

"I am Rümeysa sultana to you, pasha. It takes time to get to know each other and then talk about marriage. And now you can leave!"

After the pasha left, Rümeysa walked among the roses. Deep in her heart, she felt unfaithful to her love, which was perhaps only one-sided. For seven years she had not seen Prince Mustafa, who had meanwhile become governor of Manisa. A servant reported that the sultan had assigned her and Safiye sultana to the Topkapi Palace. The belongings were put on the carriages. They arrived in the capital early in the evening. Everyone was prepared to receive them. Suleiman greeted his late friend's daughter with an ear-splitting smile. Rümeysa and Safyie bowed before him and in front of Valide. Hürrem looked at her a little jealously.

"Rümeysa, dear child. The rumors turned out to be true. Your unparalleled beauty, like your mother's."

"Thank you, Your Majesty. It's an honor to be here again."

"Let me introduce the Hürrem Sultan. My faithful wife and mother of five children."

The next morning they held a great ceremony again. A gray fighting stallion walked proudly into the palace. His rider got off the saddle and then went straight to the Valide apartment following the agas. There was the sultan and all the members of his family. The doors opened and Prince Mustafa himself entered. The prince greeted his father and grandmother.

"Allah has heard my prayers. Let me introduce you to Rümeysa. The daughter of the prosperous Pasha Murad." the Valide said.

"Rümeysa? Your beauty is truly stunning. Years have passed. How long will you stay in the capital?"

"Rümeysa and Safyie are our guests. They enjoy our hospitality indefinitely." the sultan said.

Mustafa and Rümeysa finally took a walk in the garden. Her heart began to beat wildly, which she tried to cover up with a deep breath. The prince became handsome and everyone in the harem fought for him.

"I think the harem will go crazy for you, my prince."

"One of the girls, Fatma, gave birth to a boy for me. My son was named Suleiman, in honor of my father. What about you? I have heard that Rüstem will be your future husband."

"I haven't said yes to marriage yet. Rüstem is twice as old as me. I've been dreaming of getting married in love one day since I was a little girl. You have a son?"

"Yes. He is beautiful. You look sad. What's wrong with you, Rümeysa?"

"There's nothing wrong, prince. I just .......... now they better rest." she finally ran away.

"Rümeysa............ please, come back to me." Mustafa whispered.