Chapter 3

"Attention! Sultan Safiye is coming!"

Rümeysa bowed to her grandmother who took her seat in the chair. And her granddaughter sat down on the pillow. The servants gave fruit and refreshment to the sultana. Safiye was one of the women who had a great influence in the Ottoman Empire. She was the favorite sister of Sultan Selim and the wife of the late Grand Vizier Mehmed. Rümeysa sought refuge in the beauty of the garden. The love she felt for Mustafa remains just an eternal dream. A tear rolled down her eyes, but since she was a sultana, she could not afford to cry.

"Rümeysa, my child! You have to be prepared. You're going to marry Rüstem soon."

"I don't love him, Sultanim! And I never will.  I cannot be the wife of a man I do not love. My heart already loves someone, Sultanim!" Rümeysa replied.

Anger settled on Safiye's face.

"What did you say? How dare you say you won't be Rüstem's wife?"

"As you have heard, Sultanim! The one I love is Prince Mustafa. The firstborn son of Sultan Suleiman."

"Do you understand what you're saying, child? You cannot love the sultan's son. You are a faithful subordinate to the prince and nothing more. Girls of your own kind can never touch love." Safiye said.

"Forgive me, Sultanim! You yourself were madly in love with my late grandfather. You told me you never loved anyone as much as him. My father loved my mother. The love that binds me to the prince is stronger than anything. If I have to, I will also sell my soul to the darkness, but I will not stop until ........." Rümeysa didn't finish what she had to say. She paused for a moment.

"Until then? Finish what you wanted to say!"

"Until Mustafa ascends the Ottoman throne. If I have to, I plant it myself in the place that deserves him."

"Think about what you're doing, Rümeysa. The path you have taken can also mean your loss. What you have said before, only a strong sultana can do.  I knew you had that ability. You're like me."

"I will trample anyone who dares to harm Mustafa. I will do everything I can to make him the next sultan."

"My beautiful granddaugter!  Your father's blood is flowing in you. Mustafa needs a strong woman."