Chapter 8

Rümeysa lost the child. The miscarriage wore her and she had not left his apartment for days. Neither the food nor the beautiful sunny weather made her feel better. He tried to cheer her up with roses cut down in the garden. When he entered the door, Rümeysa was sitting in bed praying for her unborn child. The sultana set aside the prayer book and took off the shawl. Mustafa sat down next to Rümeysa and hugged her.

"I should have died and not my child. My fault. I killed him." Rümeysa muttered, crying.

"It's not your fault, darling! We'll have another baby."

"The girl who spent the night with you is expecting a baby. You should be with her rather than with me. You will be a father after all. I will be back in Konya with my grandmother. It was a mistake to stay here." the woman replied. 

"In order for the future to survive, more girls will join the harem. But there is only one woman in my heart, and that is you, Rümeysa. Only you."

"My decision is final, my sehzade! I'll be back in Konya in a few days. Gilhan!"

"Sultanim!"

"Start packing all my stuff. We return to Konya."

Rümeysa got out of bed and made herself up. She picked up a green dress. Her servants packed their belongings and put everything in the carriage. Safiye stood puzzled in front of the situation. Mustafa was in his own apartment and began to cry. Mahidevran sat next to her son and tried to reassure him. Meanwhile, Safiye also tried to influence her granddaughter. Rümeysa was stubborn, like her mother.

"Rümeysa, my beautiful sultana! Whatever you turn in your head, you won't leave that range. You swore in front of Mahidevran to put Prince Mustafa on the throne. And the prince's support is growing day by day. What we start we finish. I raised you as a Sultana and not a coward, my child. You have to be strong if you want to win. You'll have to walk in blood. The death of your child is a warning sign from Allah. If you want to see Mustafa and later your son on the Ottoman throne, you have to be much stronger."

Rümeysa finally went to the prince's apartment. As she entered, she bowed before Mustafa and  Sultana  Mahidevran. She looked at her worriedly. Mahidevran saw in her son and Rümeysa the torment caused by the loss of the child.

"Rümeysa. If you run away the grief will stay with you. Sincere condolences!  My son's happiness is most important to me and I know for Mustafa you are the most important."

"Thank you, Sultanim!"

Mahidevran left.

"What are you doing here Rümeysa?" The sultana knelt down.

"I apologize to you, my prince. My selfishness does not deserve mercy. I spoke to you in moderation and disrespect."

"Rise up, Rümeysa! Come with me."

The prince took the woman's hand.  Two men represented both of them.

"What does that mean?"

"You became my legal wife. I need you. You know what that means, don't you? We have to keep it a secret for a while."

"We keep it good as long as you see it right, my prince! The most important thing is that I can keep this secret with you."

Nine months later, Rümeysa got to her big belly while taking a walk in the garden

Nine months later, Rümeysa got to her big belly while taking a walk in the garden. Mustafa took his wife in his arms and took him back to the palace. The sultana took a deep breath. The servants prepared warm water and blankets. The midwife also arrived. The prince waited in the hallway. Safyie and Mahidevran stayed by Mustafa. Rümeysa's shout was heard throughout the palace. However, the labor completely exhausted the sultana. She took a deep breath and continued to fight for the baby's birth.

Rümeysa was already holding her child in her arms the next morning. The doors opened and Mustafa entered.

"Our son was born. My dear little son!"

"Let's name our son after your father. Let our child's name be Murad."

"Sehzade Murad. You will be a sultan one day, little son!"

"Rümeysa, our prince is still small."

"I know my love. But I have no doubt that one day you will follow your father at the head of the sultanate. You already have an heir, Mustafa!"

"The throne is not only my dream, but my brothers have a similar view of it."

"You are the firstborn. If anyone deserves the throne, it is you. With all your actions, you achieve the love of people. The Janissaries are following you. And for Murad, your life can be an example. He can learn from you over time."