Chapter 13

Konya

Prince Mustafa entered his father's tent

Prince Mustafa entered his father's tent. With a pounding heart and a clenched throat, he approached the sultan. Suleiman did not want to believe that his firstborn son had committed betrayal.  The prince was about to give an explanation, but several executioners stepped out. They caught Mustafa and one of them held a silk cord around the prince's neck. The prince defended himself, but there were more and more of them.

" Hunkarim, I not betray you." Mustafa cried.

"Faster." Suleiman ordered.

 One Janissary immediately reported to another who ran up the hill where Rümeysa was already ready to fight. The sultana immediately galloped into the camp with her entourage.  Taslicali and Atmaca also arrived. Rümeysa immediately got off his horse and burst into the sultan's tent, where Mustafa was already lying on the ground. The prince could barely breathe.

"Sultan Suleyman! Revoke the order immediately. Mustafa is innocent." Rümeysa shouted.

Taslicali helped the prince, who was still gasping for air.

"Who do you think you are, Rümeysa? How dare you command me the Sultan? My son betrayed me."

"I am the way my prosperous grandmother Safiye Sultan raised me. I am a Sultana. I am the legal wife of Prince Mustafa and the mother of his six children. But above all, I am your faithful subordinate, Your Majesty!"

"Mustafa made an alliance with the Persian Sah. They will kill me and he will sit on my throne."

"That's not true, Dad!  I never betrayed you. I wouldn't." Mustafa replied.

"Thousands of Janissaries have come with us, Your Majesty! They believe in your son's innocence."

"If you claim my son is innocent then show me something."

"I have gathered a lot of evidence over the years, Hunkarim. Behind most of the conspiracies is Rüsztem Pasha and ............ your beloved wife Hurrem. I watched them for years and knew all about their plans. I was just waiting for the right time."

"Why didn't you tell me anything?" Mustafa asked.

"Because that's how I wanted to protect you.  I did nothing but follow my father's will. My father believed in you, Suleiman!  Your son will love you and would rather die than betray you or the Ottoman Empire."

"That's true, Hunkarim.  I have always been loyal to you. I represented you everywhere. I acted according to your laws. Rümeysa can attest to all this. My wife has been a faithful companion over the years."

"Mustafa. My son. Forgive me."

"Hunkarim. The series of annoyances did not end there. We received reports from Manisa. Prince Selim received several complaints. He is not performing his duties properly as governor. He spends a lot of time in different places and doesn't despise wine either. Atmaca, please give me the reports."

"Leave me alone!" the Sultan said.

Everyone left the tent. Mustafa was sick, so he stepped out of the tent, leaning on Taslicali. The prince was taken to the woods, where his men were already waiting for him. Rümeysa stepped out last. I frightened Pasha looked at the sultana in shock and rage.

"Why is the prince alive? He committed treason."

"Your plans are stuck, Rüstem!  He also knows that you and Hurrem have devised everything just to kill Mustafa. I told you not to fight me because you will fail in the end. The prince regained his father's trust."

Mustafa rested leaning against a tree.  Rümeysa arrived soon after. However, the prince looked at his wife angrily.

"How could you do that?  How did you have the courage to gather an army?"

"You did the same thing when you thought the Sultan wanted to kill you. Want to know why I did it? You are the only child of your mother.  I have given birth to six children over the years and all of them admire you especially Murad. People around the empire respect you. My love for you is strong to this day. Did you really think your death would be a solution? Me for our children? My only sin is love."

"Prince, all the statements of the sultana are true.  I saw for myself how determined she was to protect you." Taslicali said and left.

"If you want to punish me, I will not object. "

"I will not punish the one who saved my life and gave birth to four princes for me. My warrior sultana."