01. the way station

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

"THOMAS!" the boy's eyes snapped open to a vexed looking Andie hovering above him

"THOMAS!" the boy's eyes snapped open to a vexed looking Andie hovering above him. With her hands fisted in his shirt, she shook him in distress, her wild hair flickering with the gusts of breeze.

His ears filled with the blaring sound of an alarm and confusion hit him, feeling perplexed as the girl pulled him up from the helicopter floor.

Next Minho appeared, looking just as unsettled as Andie as he tried his best to speak over the blast of wind and tocsin.

"We gotta go! Come on!"

Andie followed quickly behind Minho while Thomas was guided down from the aircraft, his feet landing on the heavy dunes of sand. He still felt disoriented from his wake as he was steered to follow the other Gladers by someone unknown, yet he could still comprehend the unaccounted for trinket.

"Wait, wait, wait."

He practically flung himself out of the concealed man's hold as he headed back to the helicopter, his hands frantic as he tried to find the wooden sculpture. With it finally in hand, clutched tightly between his fingers, he accepted the pulling hand on his shoulder.

"Get out of here!" The man yelled, his voice muffled by the cloth covering his face and the gyrating blade of the chopper.

Thomas took a step back, prepared to follow orders despite his wariness, stopping however short when an ear piercing screech could be heard not too far off.

He grimaced, the cry sounding awfully a lot like the vicious monsters that loomed inside the maze. His head instinctively snapped towards the sound in fright, but he couldn't quite make out what the noice belonged to, the dark loom of the sky restricting his vision.

He didn't get too long to inspect the creatures as he was dragged off by the hand of another, his neck cramping as he tried hard to study the dragging of feet and outstretched arms of the monsters.