10. never ending demolition

CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN

"HEY, GET OUT OF HERE!" The hair on Andie's skin rose the second she heard Thomas' shout, turning quickly over her shoulder to see what danger had risen

"HEY, GET OUT OF HERE!" The hair on Andie's skin rose the second she heard Thomas' shout, turning quickly over her shoulder to see what danger had risen. Only, it was just a damn bird lurking for food in their stuff.

At thomas's cry, the others grudgingly started to wake from their naps, both yawn's and groans of displeasure leaving them.

"Are they gone?" Newt asked, referring the those zombie like beasts they encountered the day prior.

"Yeah," Thomas confirmed, "I think we're safe for now."

Andie turned away, back toward where she'd previously been looking, gazing up towards the sun warming her face, and blocking out the others conversing.

She couldn't help but feel a tinge of resentment toward her friends, as they could so easily fall asleep when, despite how her body ached from fatigue, she couldn't dream of it.

She felt a duty to keep watch when they all got their much needed rest, but even if she tried, she couldn't seem to relax enough and let her dreams take her. And she'd been here before.

When she first entered the glade, she hadn't entertained the thought of closing her eyes longer than a blink, scared shitless of what roamed the maze. Now, she might not be trapped between four walls, nor alone, but she still had little to no knowledge of what existed out in the wilderness. And that, that worried her like no other.

At the sound of a pained groan, it was like Andie's senses heightened, her mind going back to the present moment. With the turn of her head, she noted most of the others standing, their stuff and bags packed, ready to go. Winston however, laid on his back, clearly in pain from those injuries he received the night before.

Standing and feeding her arms through her backpack, she walked up to the poor boy and lended him her hand, hoisting him carefully up.