05. jumping and stealing

CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP. Andie's gaze seemed to be bolted stuck to Thomas's knee as it jolted up and down, the sound of his shoe's soul hitting the floor, echoing in her head as a constant.

She couldn't find the willpower to turn away nor open her ears to a word or name Janson was listing up aloud. And it was driving her crazy. Her hands wrapped tightly around the bench she was found perched upon, her fingers and knuckles turning a worrisome pale shade of white.

Andie's head then flicked to her right, Minho's cool but comforting hand having touched her bare arm. His face revealed little to no reaction, but his eyes turned solicitous and she knew all to well what it meant. Worry.

Slowly her hold softened on the seat. And when the boy across from her's foot stilled, she finally took a much needed breath of air. Still with dark bags beneath her eyes and a yawn lingering at the back of her throat, her head cleared enough to catch onto Thomas's next words.

"I want to know what's through that door."

The girl internally groaned as her and the other boy's heads turned towards him. She knew something was wrong with this place, the way station, and she wanted to find out what it was for the safety of her friends. But god did she want a break from it all to bury herself deep beneath the earth and stay there until the next generation came along to deal with her worries instead.

"Now, we've gone through this," Newt sighed. "You said they were covered up, so you don't know what you saw. It could've been anything under there."

"I know exactly what I saw. They were bodies." Thomas insisted.

Instinctively the boys turned to Andie for confirmation, silently asking if she too believed it was bodies they saw being wheeling around. The girl could only nod her head.