12. truth be told

CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE

AFTER LONG TIRING HOURS of travel, and the sun having gone down, replaced by dark skies and glittering stars, the group found camp to rest for the night

With help of the recourses they'd gathered so far, they were able to build a fire to keep them warm during the night. And though it wasn't stated, the light definitely helped each of them calm from the fear of what unknown was hidden in the shadows.

They'd all been rather quiet since the events of earlier in the day, but once they all got the chance to unwind a bit, Minho spoke up.

"I thought we were supposed to be immune," he said, twirling a knife in his hand.

"Not all of us. I guess." Teresa was the one to answer, her eyes glowing orange as she stared into the flames of the fire, looking relaxed but lost at the same time.

"If Winston could get infected then we should assume so can the rest of us." Newt made a good point.

After a few seconds of silence, Fry spoke. "I never thought I'd say it," tears wet his cheeks now. "But I miss the glade."

His word seemed to echo around the group, longing for a world where they weren't constantly on the run as much as a place to call home.

With a tick of his jaw, Thomas suddenly stood, his hand gripped tightly around something, something so small his hand swallowed it whole. He didn't look at anyone as he turned and walked off, out of ear shot, but not far.

The others watched as the boy sat down, his shoulders falling in on himself as though he was exhausted beyond belief. Newt went to rise, likely to check on him, but halted when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"I got it."

Newt searched Andie's face as she gave him a sure nod, surprised by her willingness to initiate conversation with the troubled boy being alluded to. Despite his slight confusion though, he didn't complain, watching instead as her figure grew darker and darker the further she went from their fire.