04. midnight rendezvous

CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

ANDIE LET OUT A SHAKY BREATH as she quickly dried her face off, the few droplets of water trailing down her neck incidentally neglected

ANDIE LET OUT A SHAKY BREATH as she quickly dried her face off, the few droplets of water trailing down her neck incidentally neglected. She hung the towel back on its hook before meeting eyes with herself in the mirror only to frown.

Her shoulder slumped at the sight of her sunken in eyes, a reminder of how worn out and drained she felt. The dark rims surrounding her gaze suggested she hit the hay, so that's what she instantly shuffled to do.

She'd been trying to avoid looking at herself for too long. She didn't exactly know why, but her conscious told her it was simply out of guilt from seeing herself alive and well. Something so many no longer could.

The cool tiles under her bare feet made her toes curl and seek warmth beneath a quilt, however her Pace slowed when she heard hushed whispers coming from one of the bunks.

Two girls laid practically atop each other, spoke in low voices, likely to try and not wake the other sleeping individuals Andie had been tossed in the sleeping quarters with. there were plenty of girl's and even empty bunks, however no Teresa in sight. It worried Andie.

She didn't mean to pry or be intrusive, but as Andie laid down in her own bed, her cold feet finally snaking beneath a blanket, she listened in on their shared conversation.

"What if they don't send us together? What if you go before me, or I before you? What then?"

The redhead's voice shook and cracked as she spoke, sounding as if a sob was threatening to break free. Andie saw her friend rub a hand down her back, her forehead falling to the other's.

"Im sure we'll go together. And even if we don't, I'd wait for you on the other side. You know that."

It was then that Andie realized the two weren't just friends. They're lips touched and fused together like magnets, and even though silk black hair fell in a way that covered the two in a curtain, Andie turned away.