16. right behind you

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

THE MAN FELL TO THE GROUND and suddenly Brenda appeared, gun raised, a hurried expression on her face

"Okay, come on." She nodded behind her.

The Gladers stood still, shock and hesitancy clear in their stance as they looked between them, uncertain.

Brenda rolled her eyes, "Come on! Let's go!" before taking off in hopes they would follow.

And they did. Leaving the now dead guy behind, his radio screeching with Janson's worried voice.

As she and the rest followed behind Brenda, Andie couldn't help her feet from faltering when a song started to play. "I go out walking after midnight," a woman's voice admitted from speakers around the place, her voice soft and oldtimey as she sung.

Andie would've found it calming if they weren't in the predicament they found themselves in at that moment. Running, once again, for their lives.

"Brenda, hurry!" They heard Jorge's voice as they reached the top of the stairs they rose. "We don't have much time! Let's go, let's go, let's go!"

The group didn't have time to second guess him before he led them to a window and pushed it open.

"Right this way!"

On the other side, there was a building, a golden hue gleaming from inside the broken exterior. From above the window, a rope—almost string if you'd asked Andie—hung, attached from their building to the other one.

It didn't take a genius to figure out Jorge's plan.

"You gotta be kidding me." Frypan murmured.

"Plan b, hermano." Jorge reached up and tugged at the harness connected to the rope. The one they'd have to hang onto as they slid from one side to the other.

"You kids wanna get to the right arm? I'll lead you to them. But you're gonna owe me." He didn't need to point a stern finger their way, his eyes already did it for him.