42; Heartbreak, apologies, and confessions

Violet

I couldn't believe it.

There was no exaggeration with that sentence. I did not believe a lot of things, but my beliefs trumped what I did not believe in. And my biggest belief was Zayn.

And I literally could not believe it.

"Do you want some tea?" Avery hadn't left my side since she took me into her and Niall's bedroom. She was desperately trying to help, and above everything else I just didn't need it right now. I appreciated what she was trying to do, but I needed her to stop.

"Are you hungry? I can make whatever you want."

"Can I please just be left alone?" My words were thick in my throat. I was afraid to say much more because I knew I would start crying again.

"Violet-" she begins.

"Please?" I say, a little louder than intended. "Please just leave me alone."

"Avery, come on." Niall appears at the door. He seems rather calm and I don't know if it's because he's a guy and he doesn't really show much emotion, or because he's taken Zayn's side. Because that is what is going to happen. Avery and Niall were both of our friends.

"You call me if you need anything okay?" Avery pulls me into a hug that I don't return, my arms staying limply at my sides. "Oh, Vi. I'm so sorry."

"Avery," Niall says again, his voice deeper.

The curly red head sighs and gets up from the bed, walking towards Niall. She gives me one last look before shaking her head and walking into the lounge. Niall stays there for a bit longer and I don't want to hear anything he has to say. I just want to curl up into a ball and cry for the rest of my life.

"Violet?"

"What," I croak.

There's slight hesitation and then he looks at the floor. "N-Never mind." And then he's shutting the door and leaving me to my miserable abyss.

I hadn't stopped shaking since the incident, and I wasn't sure if I ever would. My bones were heavy, my skin numb. I had a million thoughts running through my head with one outstanding statement. It was gnawing at my brain, eating me away until I disappeared to nothing. And I knew it would forever haunt me. This one sentence would forever be imbedded into my head.

Zayn Malik used me.

I should've seen it coming. I don't know why I was such a fool in the gaze of his manipulative eyes. I knew about this. I knew. But yet I refused to believe. I thought that maybe he'd be different, that maybe who he used to be was no longer who he was. I thought I had changed him.

And I should've known that you cannot change people, no matter how hard you try. People do not change. And I should've known that. And maybe if I had, I wouldn't be here right now. Maybe if I had protected myself, I wouldn't be left unguarded. Maybe if I had some fucking sense I wouldn't be feeling so broken.

I have never felt so stupid in my life. I feel defeated, played, taken advantage of. I feel so damn fucking weak. It had taken me this long to gain my strength and now to have it taken suddenly by the same person who gave it to me, well, it hurts. There is no other explanation to how I feel. I hurt. I hurt everywhere. And it's the kind of hurt that feels empty and hollow. It's the kind of hurt that you don't know if you'll ever get over.

I don't know what to do. For a person who always has a plan, I don't for this. I don't know where to go to from here. Everything I had planned for my future was to have Zayn standing right beside me along the way. He was my future. He was everything I thought about, everything I cared about. How could someone I love so much do this to me?