𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 68.

4 days have passed since Tommy interrupted them and Makayla didn't gain the courage to bring up the pregnancy again. She was preparing her words like a speech, changing it every day.

It was morning again. The sun was shining through the light curtains.

She was laying on Joel's chest while his arm was around her waist, holding her close to him.

She could hear his heartbeat as he was breathing steadily.

She snuggled even closer to him. He smelled so good and she didn't wanna leave his side until that stupid urge to throw up came back again.

She tried to blink it away, to get rid of it but it only increased the urge.

Her eyes widened as she ran out of the bedroom and into the bathroom opposite to bedroom, knowing she wouldn't make it downstairs.

She fell to her knees and started throwing up. Her hands were gripping the sides of the toilet bowl.

"Jesus Christ. Makayla." She heard Joel's husky morning voice from behind her as he came closer.

"I'm fine it's fine!" She quickly said and threw up again.

Fuck just leave..

"Goddamn it." Joel crouched down, pulling her hair back so it wouldn't be in the way and with his other hand he started to massage her back.

She didn't even have to look at him, she knew he was concerned.

" 'Kayla you good?" He asked once she stopped and just stayed pressed against the toilet, breathing hard.

She nodded, flushing the toilet and he helped her stand up.

He fixed her hair and looked at her trying to read her and figure out what's wrong.

"You're lookin' pale as hell you gotta lay down- c'mon." He grabbed her hand and she nodded again, her eyes suddenly rolling to the back of her head as her legs gave up on her and she fell unconscious right into Joel's arms.

Makayla's flashback

"Hurry!" Ethan shouted, running on his little legs across the abandoned shopping centre.

"Ethan!" Makayla hissed through her teeth. She had to correct him since they weren't sure if the shopping centre was completely empty.

"Look!" Ethan shouted again, running into one of the shops and Makayla rolled her eyes at him, taking out the map of the place to see if there could be a place to get some food and supplies.

She heard something rumble.

"Ethan?" She whispered, peeking out, trying to see into the shop but it seemed empty.

"Ethan!" She called out now louder and all she heard was another rumble.

She started to sweat from the fear that took over her body at the moment.

She couldn't see Ethan and she had a bad feeling about it.

She walked into the shop with no gun on her.

It was a tough situation. Their paremrs started fighting again, about them running out of supplies so Makayla left to get some when Ethan followed her and she had no idea.

Now they were here, in a situation she never though she'd end up in.

There was a door in the back, half open and the rumbling was getting louder as she was getting closer.

"Ethan come out this isn't funny!" She called out again and that was when she heard the whistling screech.

Her breath got stuck in her lungs and she didn't hesitate to run to the door and kick it wide open, seeing a runner trying to rip her brother apart.

She screamed and threw herself at the infected, trying to rip her off of her brother even if she knew it was already too late.

She bit her arm right before she managed to snap her neck, throwing the body of the infected woman on the ground.

"Shit! Shit!" She panicked, grabbing him and pulling him closer to her.

He opened his tired eyes. His arm was ripped off and his legs were full of bites.

His little body was laying in her arms but he wasn't saying anything as blood slowly rushed from the wounds.

His hand searched for her arm, feeling the bite as he frowned while looking up at her, almost not breathing anymore.

She looked down at her arm.

She could feel the end coming. This is it.

"I'm so sorry it's all my fault." She cried, looking down at him.

"C-an we wait it out?" He struggled to ask. She knew he was too scared to die so she nodded through her tears.

But soon his soul left his body and she stayed there, sitting on the ground with him in her arms, waiting for her turn...

End of Makayla's flashback

Her eyes fluttered open, her vision was blurry as she tried looking around the room.

Then she felt a hand being placed on top of her's.

She looked to the side, seeing Joel laying next to her.

He was calmly looking at her with a slight smile, his hazel eyes glowing.

"Fuck. What happened." She sighed, questioning him.

"You got sick and fainted. The doctors had you checked." He said, his deep soothing voice almost caressing her soul.

His hand tightened around her's.

Wait...

"Doctors?" She panicked, her eyes widening.

Fuck..

She was about to sit up when Joel's hand landed on her for now still flat belly, gently, stopping her from moving any further and getting up.

"Easy tiger." He released a short chuckle.

She looked at him. Noticing his eyes wander to his hand on her belly and remain there for a few seconds.

Tears formed in her eyes.

"You know.." she whispered, her voice already shaky.

He looked back into her eyes.

Joel was a hard, tough man. A man who never showed his emotions but this was different. His eyes were glossy even though not a single tear fell. Maybe he was just overwhelmed.

And Makayla didn't know if that was a good or a bad sign.