Chapter 15

Amada POV

I was lucky enough to have my birthday on a Saturday this year. January 16.

Although I wanted to sleep in I got up, got dressed and ready for the day before heading downstairs. I could already smell mom's cooking. 

There were bouquets of balloons around the house that made me smile.  Along with some presents I'll open later. 

"Morning, mom" I yawned, entering the kitchen.

"Happy Birthday, baby" she replied, embracing me in a hug, the best hug she could manage with her bump, and kissing the top of my head.

"Thank you." I smiled. After pulling away, she handed me a plate filled with chocolate chip pancakes.

I placed them on the table and returned again, grabbing a glass of water. "Where's dad?"

"Working out." was her simple response.

I nodded, turning back to the table, but spotted dad walking in. "Good morning, sweetheart, happy birthday" he greeted me, kissing the top of my head.

I smiled again, "Thanks, dad."

Mom cleared her throat as dad slid into the spot next to me at the table and I turned my head to look at her. Dad continued loading a pancake on his plate though, a guilty expression on his face.

"Excuse me, sir."

He lifted his head, looking over at her with a sly grin.

She walked over to us, stopping in front of him with her hands on her hips and a pointed look on her face.

He rose from his seat, sauntered over to her and placed a kiss on her lips, "Sorry, darling, thank you."

She smiled, but quickly covered it with a stern facial expression again. I was trying hard to suppress my laughter, this was funny and wasn't necessarily a rare occasion for this to happen in our house.

He smiled, obviously trying not to laugh too and sat back down.

"Sean-" she started, a hint of warning in her tone which made dad's eyes widen slightly. I quickly pulled the top of my shirt up over my mouth to cover my laughter that was trying so hard to escape.

I'd be horrible at poker. 

Mom began reaching to grab the plate of pancakes sitting in front of him but he quickly took hold of her hand. With one quick motion he stood and spun her around the kitchen with a smile.

She bit her lip to contain her own smile as I did the same but to contain my laughter. He's a sneaky one.

He placed his hands on her hips, walking her backwards until her back hit the counter. He leaned in to kiss her again but she pushed back on his bare chest, "You know the rules, thief."

I grinned again. I felt like clapping, this was just too good and I get front row seats.

He hummed teasingly, "I can't seem to remember them, your majesty. Care to refresh my memory?"

She kept her eyes on his as she began, "First- no shirts, no service"

He basically grumbled, "I don't like that rule."

"Of course you don't." she said simply, shaking her head.

Dad was shirtless still, not caring to put a shirt on after his workout.

He glanced back at me, a mischievous look in his eyes I had become way too familiar with. He was going to try to weasel his way out of it.

Surprisingly, he was actually successful most of the time.