04 | Waiting on a Miracle

CHAPTER 04:: WAITING ON A MIRACLE

The magnesium flash continues to spark the blinding light. Camilo watches, trying to utter a word but only his glossy green eyes could convey the heaviness he felt. He felt as if time stopped to allow him to take in and breathe for a second. He can feel every heartbeat as sweat rolls at the side of his temple. He tries to calm himself down with words but nothing could pull him back.

Don't be upset or mad at all
Don't feel regret or sad at all

He approaches the family who was circling Abuela, celebrating Antonio's joyous moment without him. His eyes get glossier as he approaches, making him feel the warm tinge of the light. He stops for a second, feeling as if his step were heavier than the second. He shakes his head and hugs himself as he points out his truth.

Hey, I'm still a part of the family Madrigal
And I'm fine, I am totally fine
I will stand on the side as you shine
I'm not fine, I'm not fine

He approaches the birthday boy first, looking at his wonderful animals, and then affectionately patted his head. He goes near his sister, reaching out but not quite near, and envies her beautiful voice. He then closes his eyes and puts on his hood as he remembers the painful memories of "his" room, reminding him of what he has been desperate for.

I can't talk to animals
I can't make pretty tunes
I can't take another night up in my room, waiting for a miracle

He then approaches his Tía Julieta, who he leans on to, indicating their closeness. And later proceeds to his favorite Tío Bruno, who he mimics by pretending to hold a rat. He then runs in front of the family, his eyes searching for their attention and expressing the pain as droplets of tears run down his cheeks. His hands swayed and moved with every weight he carried. He runs out of the crowd, in search of air.

I can't heal what's broken
Can't unroll the future fate or a vision cave
Can't keep down the unspoken invisible pain
Always waiting on a miracle, a miracle

He holds onto a column as he belts out every word, feeling every emotion. He walks down the stairs as his hand follows the remains and brightness of the sparklers that the children were playing with. He then reminisces the moments of his ceremony and his door disappearing in front of him.

Always walking alone
Always wanting for more
Like I'm still at that door longing to shine
Like all of you shine

He reaches the ground floor with people dancing in slow motion, their skirts moving along the sparklers and beats of the song. He opens his arms as he eyes the candle in Abuela's window. His body and arms move with every emotion and beat of his song. He proceeds to Abuela's door, desperately singing, maybe even shouting at this point. It turns into Abuela holding the candle in which he sings around, hoping to be seen by his Abuela.