05 | Knock on Wood

CHAPTER 05 :: KNOCK ON WOOD

"Mama, I need to talk to you about the children."

"Not now! You need to divert the coming hurricane"

"I had enough of all of this!"

The thunders could be heard from two places; the mountains and Abuela's room. I felt myself shiver as I heard the screams from the inside, much more terrifying than the coming storm. I hear my name called by Tio Bruno, as he gathered me, my brothers, and my cousins into my soundproof room. 'What were they talking about?' I thought to myself. No time to think about that as I saw my brother cower in fear as he was afraid of storms and thunder. I rush to his side as I held him tight and reassured his quivering soul. Singing always helped so I sang him a song,  a beautiful melody. As I began to sing, all the magically instruments come to life, aiding me in my composition. Guitars glowed and played by themselves in magic, as I softly sing to my cousins and brothers. It was all that I can do amidst a disaster. 

Tio Bruno watched us in glee but this happy moment was cut when we felt the earth shake. Our uncle left us to assess the situation. We tried to play games and have fun but something in me was bothered. 

Sometimes I wish that I didn't feel uneasy that day.

I excused myself from them and pretended to go to the bathroom. But once I stepped outside, the wind was too strong, almost blowing me away. I grabbed on to the post and held on for my life. Curiosity could kill a cat, and that cat could be me. I see Tio Bruno near me, grabbing onto a post as he screamed exchanges to Tia Julieta and Tio Agustin. I made sure to keep low and hide from the adults. I looked down to see them. An image I couldn't erase from my memory. Not only an image but sounds that only I can hear. My hearing would never reach a mile away, but I still can hear what others don't.

'My memory. My hearing...'

"I just wanna hold my children, our children!"

'...Is sometimes a curse.'

Screams from Abuela, Papa, and her exchange. My mind was filled with many thoughts, confusing and dark ideas that spiral in my mind. The winds and rain grow stronger as I felt time going slower and slower. I couldn't understand yet I understood at the same time, tears build up as the exchanges continue. Their voices grew rougher and louder yet weaker and vulnerable. I covered my ears, and hid in the corner of the stairs, trying to get away from the open balcony but it couldn't stop me from hearing what I didn't mean to hear. And her voice, shaky and weak, rang in my head as she continued to plead desperately,

"I just wanna hug Antonio, Camilo, and---"

"Dolores!"

"Isabela, what are you doing in my room?"