Chapter 10

Jessica was running late getting to the Staples Center for the game. Of course Saturday traffic in LA was the equivalent of rush hour during the week. She finally made it to the family lot and parked her car. 

She hadn’t seen Blake since he had brought dinner over the other night. It was surprisingly not awkward at all trying to get along with him. They ate and watched a movie before Blake left. He didn’t try anything with her and it really felt as if the two were working on rebuilding their friendship. 

She was still a little nervous about seeing him today though for some reason. Maybe it was how jealous he got over knowing she and Matt were good friends. How he didn’t know that from before was beyond her. Maybe since she was the side girl in his life he didn’t much care about what was going on with her outside of what the two shared. 

Jessica grabbed her bag and slung it over her shoulder as she got out of her car. She could hear the announcer over the PA system as she pulled the door open. They were announcing the starting players for the Mavericks. If she hurried she could get to her seat before they started announcing the Clippers. 

She walked quickly down the hallway and through the tunnel. She reached her seat just as the lights went down. 

“Hey I was starting to think you weren’t coming,” Chelsea smiled over at her. 

“Traffic was a nightmare,” Jessica sighed. 

The girls cheered as JJ’s name was called and he ran through the middle of the other players high fiving them as he went. Jessica cheered as Matt’s name was called and she didn’t miss the look Blake gave her from his spot on the bench. 

Finally Blake’s name was called and Jessica couldn’t help but watch him as he high fived his teammates. Once he got to the end he turned and looked up at Jessica who was still just standing there watching him. He had never really acknowledged her at games before. For one he was dating Brynn and she was JJ’s little sister. 

“What are you looking at?” Matt asked breaking him out of his trance. 

“Your girlfriend,” Blake said finally looking away and making his way over to the bench to shed his warmups.

“Jealousy isn’t a good look for you and she’s not my girlfriend,” Matt sighed ripping his tearaways off.

“She opens up to you a hell of a lot more than she does me,” Blake spat pulling his shirt over his head.

“I didn’t break her heart,” Matt said walking around his teammate to the table to grab his mouthguard. 

Blake rolled his eyes pulling his tearaways off. Matt had a valid point, but was it always going to come back to that? He needed to stop dwelling on it for now. They had a game to play and they needed to win it. 

“Are you going with JJ on the road trip that’s coming up?” Jessica asked during one of the timeouts. 

“I haven’t made up my mind yet. I still have a couple weeks to decide. I kind of think all that traveling might be rough on Knox though,” Chelsea explained.