Chapter 3

By the time Jessica had made it through traffic and to her house it was almost 6:30. She had tried to talk herself into eating something and she couldn’t do it. Instead after she had made it inside and put away everything she had brought home from work she changed into a pair of yoga pants and an oversize pink t-shirt before going to the kitchen and pouring herself a pretty full glass of wine. 

She looked at the almost full glass and back at the bottle before taking a big drink from the bottle and putting the cork back in it. She pulled open the fridge and put the bottle back inside before grabbing her glass and carefully making her way to the couch. She grabbed her phone from the coffee table and silently said a prayer Blake had texted her to cancel. No such luck. She sat her phone back down and grabbed the remote turning on ESPN. The Thunder were playing the Spurs and if she was lucky maybe Blake would get there and be more interested in the game than talking to her. 

The teams were tied at 22 going into the second quarter. That was the moment Blake decided to finally knock on her door. He was ten minutes late. 

“Hi,” Jessica said pulling open the door and stepping to the side to let him in. 

Blake walked inside a looked around. Everything was the same as it was the last time he had seen it. It had been two nights before he told her at his house that Brynn was pregnant and due any day and they had to stop seeing each other. 

“Everything looks the same,” Blake smiled a small smile at her. 

“Yeah. I’m not big on change,” Jessica shrugged shutting the door and walking back over to her spot on the couch. She grabbed her glass and took another big drink. 

Blake watched her every move trying to judge exactly how the conversation was going to go. He already had an idea that she might not say much. At least not in the beginning. 

“Sucks KD is out,” Blake said sitting down on the opposite end of the couch and gesturing to the TV. 

“Uh huh,” Jessica said not looking at him. 

“I mean, I know we already beat them, but it would’ve been nice to know we did it with them at full strength,” Blake said leaning forward with his elbows on his knees. 

“A win is a win,” Jessica spat. 

“Yeah it is, but it’s not the same. Especially if you’re trying to avenge being knocked out of the playoffs the previous year,” Blake smirked looking over at her. 

“What do you really want to talk about Blake? I know you didn’t come over here to talk about the Thunder,” Jessica sighed glancing over at him before looking back at the TV. 

“You’re right I didn’t. I don’t know how else to start this, but to say I’m sorry,” Blake sighed. 

“Yeah you’re right, you are sorry,” Jessica said downing the rest of her wine. She held up her glass and frowned at the fact there was nothing else in it. She resisted the urge to get up and refill it, instead setting the empty wine glass on the coffee table in front of her. 

“You’re not going to make this easy on me are you?” Blake asked sitting back on the couch.