𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 70.

They were walking down the street hand in hand while it was slowly getting completely dark.

" 'Ey boss!" A group of man lift their hands in the air, greeting Joel and he nodded back before his whole attention was on Makayla again.

"So- did the nurse tell you?"

"Tommy told the nurse. Then she told me." Joel gave her hand a little squeeze, looking around.

"Tommy?! That damn traitor.." she muttered and Joel laughed,

"Due to your faintin'- he felt responsible to say it but I still ain't over the fact Tommy knew sooner than me."

"I'm sorry Joel I thought after Sarah- you wouldn't want this." She looked up at him and he slowly inhaled, taking some time to answer.

"Don't think about it." Was all he said when he gently squeezed her hand again.

They were now in front of Maria's and Tommy's house.

Joel knocked and a few seconds later Maria was the one to open the door.

"Hey future parents. You guys took your time." Maria smiled letting them in and as Makayla was walking past her, she hugged her.

"Congratulations." Maria whispered.

"Thanks Maria." Makayla pulled away with a small smile and she followed Joel to the table.

Dina was already there and her eyes lit up as soon as she noticed Makayla.

"Hey you." Dina smiled and hugged her too.

She seemed in a much better mood this time.

They all sat down and started eating.

The first to speak was Tommy,

"So- how you feelin'?" He asked Makayla and at the same time Joel placed his left hand on her thigh.

"A lot better." Makayla nodded.

"That's good. We should tell the others about the change with patrols Joel." Tommy looked at his brother and Makayla did the same,

"What change?"

"You ain't participating in patrols anymore." He spoke huskily and Makayla tried to protest,

"I'm good with doing check in's till I'm capab-"

"Kayla. I said you ain't participating."

Makayla nodded. Slowly but firmly.

Joel was definitely going to be protective. Well- he already was and she couldn't blame him just as much as she wasn't even surprised.

The past created this part of him. It was in him.

"Great now we can be pregnant and bored together." Dina stated and Makayla snorted at her statement.

It was true.

"How come Tina didn't come?" Tommy asked Maria and when she finished chewing her food she replied,

"Said she was busy."

Sure..busy..

Makayla thought about Tommy's question. What if Tina would come to Maria's and Tommy's dinners with Joel while Makayla was gone?

She rolled her eyes at her own thoughts.

She knew she didn't have to be jealous. She knew Joel was a loyal man. She was just angry how confident Tina was about trying to take Joel away from her.

After they finished their food they left but not straight to their house.

But to Jackson's cemetery.

Joel was silently following her, knowing why she was going there.

She frowned when she saw the tombstone that had Jesse's name carved on it.

There was a bunch of flowers on the ground too.

She kneeled down, caressing one of the petals with her finger while Joel was standing behind her in silence.

She sighed heavily.

It shouldn't have ended like this.

She suddenly felt Joel's hand on her head, caressing her soft long hair in order to let her loose up.

She looked up at him, with sadness in her eyes and then she stood up and Joel immediately welcomed her in his arms as she clung to his body while looking down at Jesse's tombstone.

...
9 months later

Being pregnant was actually beautiful. She never wanted kids but expecting Joel's child gave her a whole new perspective on it.

She was supposed to give birth any minute now and the waiting was awful.

"I'm gonna go to Dina's." She stated, looking in the mirror. She was standing there in only her jeans, looking at how big her belly was.

"M'kay baby. Be careful!" Joel muttered, still laying in the bed with his eyes closed.

Makayla grabbed her shirt and started struggling to put it on.

"Fuck it- doesn't- fit!" She groaned throwing it on the ground.

She stood looking at it and heard Joel move.

She looked at him as he stood up, taking one of his shirts from the drawer and then he walked over to her.

She was looking up at him while his eyes laughed and he put the shirt on her.

"God I look so flattering right now." Makayla rolled her eyes making him chuckle, "You always do." He hummed, kneeling down to place a gentle kiss on her belly.

Her fingers tangled in his hair and he looked up at her with those gentle yet provocative eyes, his eyebrows arched.

He got back on his knees, kissing her lips too before he turned around and plopped on the bed again.

He was out late on a patrol with a group of men so he was still tired.

Makayla smiled and left.

...

"Hey girl." Jeremy, one of the men under Joel's order, waved at her while playing ukulele outside his house.

Makayla waved back and made her way to Dina's.

Now the whole Jackson city was used to seeing Makayla pregnant. Most people were happy, excited to welcome a new citizen. But there still was a few people that didn't agree with it.

Makayla could already see her house.

Surprisingly Dina wasn't alone anymore. Her and Sierra became close. More than close.