Chapter 1

*Ding Dong*

"Come in Dearie." I opened the door.

"Hi Grandma, how is Grandpa?" I asked her.

"He's doing fine dearie, he's upstairs." She told me.

"Thanks Grandma."

I headed upstairs to be greeted by Max, a small white dog my grandparents have had for 4 years.

 "Hey Maxy boy!"

"Ruff, Ruff." was the response I got.

I gave him a pat on the head and he wagged his tail, then lead me to my Grandfather. I stopped at his door and knocked as Max went in.

"Come in.*Cough. Cough*" He doesn't sound to good.

"Hey Grandpa how are you feeling today." I asked

"Like I have for the past month." He responded.

"Oh that's not good." I said with a sad expression.

" Your telling me.* Cough*"

"Soup's ready." My Grandmother yelled from down stairs.

"Well I guess I should go and let you eat  in peace, but 'll be back Saturday O.K." I said not wanting to make him feel embarrassed eating in bed.

"Hold on a second Taylor, do me favor. Go in the chest in the corner and pull out *Cough* the * Cough* Brown *Cough* books *Cough, and the letter on top please." He asked.

" Sure Grandpa."

I walked over to the chest and opened it. It took a while to find the books and letter because they were at the bottom, but they were all tied together.

I closed the chest and walked back over to him, then gave him the books.

" Thank you, now Taylor, I'm going to give you these books and letter but you have to promise me one thing.* Cough, Cough*."

"O.K what is it." I said curiously.

"That you won't read the books or open the letter until your sure that you're ready. Can you do that?" He looked at me with sad and hope filled eyes.

" For you Grandpa, anything." 

He gave me the book and the letter along with weak smile. Then my Grandmother came in with a tray of soup.

"Bye Taylor." she said as I walked by.

" Bye, see you two on Saturday."

I walked down the stairs hearing my Grandfather cough 2 more times, then showed myself out.

As I was driving down the driveway, it started to rain. My Grandparents live in he middle of nowhere so the town ship doesn't pave the roads and they where turning into mud puddles.

After 10 or 15 minutes of driving I saw a bush rustling father up the road, so I slowed down a bit, watching the bush carefully.

When I got to the bush a porcupine ran right in front my car, and before I had the chance to stop, move, or honk the horn, I felt my front tire hit something, and 2 seconds later my tire went flat. It's a good thing I carry tools and a spare tire  in the back of my truck.

The first thing I'm going to have to do is take the  dead porcupine off the road.

I walked over the dead porcupine and tried to lift it.