Chapter 4: I Want To Be King

Elijah took a seat beside his brother on the park bench, with Lilliana joining him. 

'This town was my home once,' Klaus said, 'and in my absence, Marcel has gotten everything that I ever wanted. Power, loyalty, family. I made him in my image, and he bettered me. I want what he has. I want it back. I want to be king.' 

'So is that all this child means to you? A grab for power?' 

'What does it mean to you?' Klaus replied, turning to face his brother. 

'I think this child could offer you the one thing that you've never believed you had.' 

'And what's that?' 

'The unconditional love of family.' The two brothers looked at each other. 

'Tell Sophie Deveraux we have a deal.' 

A day or so later... 

Hayley Marshall pulled the sheet off of a baby crib, coughing. 

'Are you alright?' Elijah asked, standing at the door of the expansive room. 

'Just dust,' she replied softly. 'This place is ancient.' 

'Yes, it should serve our purposes,' he replied softly, walking over to her. 'It's a sanctuary from our business in the Quarter. Right now, you are the most important person in this family. You need a good home. So, I'm curious... in all this time, has anyone asked you how you feel?' 

'About having a baby with a psychotic one-night stand?' Hayley replied. 

'About being a mother,' he replied simply, pulling off the sheet completely, letting it fall to the ground.

'I - I was abandoned when I was born, and my adoptive parents kicked me out the second that I turned into a wolf. So... I don't know how I really feel about being a mother because I never really had a good one.' 

'I will always protect you. You have my word on that.' 

'And noble Elijah always keeps his word,' Klaus spoke, leaning against the doorway. Lilliana stood next to him. 

'Is it done?' Elijah asked, looking between the two of us. I strolled up to him and laced my arm through his, kissing him on the cheek. 

'As a matter of fact, yes,' Klaus replied. 'Your underhanded deal worked quite well. Marcel was only too happy to accept my blood even as he accepted my heartfelt apologies. His man, Thierry, yet lives and I remain a welcome guest in the French Quarter. My only concern now is this coven of impudent witches.' He stepped forwards, further into the room. 

'I believe them to be honorable. They did release Hayley to me, though, they haven't been entirely forthcoming. Marcel obviously has something that they need. They don't want him dead, but there must be a reason why.' 

Several hours later... 

Elijah began to remove the sheets from the chairs in the dining room as myself (Lilliana) and Klaus stood nearby. 

'In addition to the secret weapon he uses to control the witches,' Elijah said, 'Marcel has assembled a small army of vampires. Working together, we could destroy them from the inside.' 

'And what of Rebekah? Has she stopped her pouting long enough to join the fun?' 

'She has made her disinterest quite clear,' I chimed in. 

'One too many times daggered and shoved in a box, I gather,' Klaus said, looking over at me, letting out a quiet chuckle. 'Or perhaps she doesn't share your unwavering belief that I can be saved.' 

'That, or she just plain doesn't like you,' I spoke. Klaus' face turned into a glare. 'What? I can't say it if it's not true.' 

'Rebekah may surprise us yet. After all, we swore the same vow,' Elijah said. 

'I hope she stays far away. Because in my desire to reclaim this town, to steal from Marcel that which he holds most dear, I have realised one massive vulnerability,' Klaus said, as he poured himself a glass of alcohol. 'One weakness that Marcel could exploit.'

'And what is that?' Elijah asked, turning to face him. 

'You,' he hissed, and then stabbed him with the silver dagger, making him cry out and begin to slowly collapse in his arms as his face turned grey, veins adorning themselves in gruesome patterns all over his face. Klaus pulled him close to his chest as I screamed in shock, vamp speeding to grab him from Klaus to pull him into my arms. 'Forgive me, my brother. There is no power in love. Mercy makes you weak. Family makes you weak. If I'm ever going to win this war, I have to do it alone.' He let him go, and the "dead" body of Elijah fell into my arms as I held him, letting out a shaky sob, planting a kiss on his head. Klaus' hand landed on my shoulder and gently squeezed it. 'I am sorry, love.' I looked up at him. 

'You didn't have to do that.' 

'You know Marcel will do anything to exploit my weaknesses in order to win this war.' I shook my head slowly, looking down at Elijah's face, stoic even in death. The last thing I heard of Klaus was his footfalls slowly leaving the room, leaving me alone with my dead boyfriend.