| chapter ten |

The first week in Calfornia flew by, as I played baseball at the sandlot every day since meeting Smalls.

It was fun - way more enjoyable than I had imagined actually. The group treated me with respect for the most part, and even if we'd have little arguments, there was never drama. I've only known these kids for nine days, but they've been nicer to me than anyone else back home. Sure, they still tease me for being a girl, but I don't mind.

After all, they backed off since I hit Yeah Yeah in the balls.

My favorite part about the group though is Benny. Not sure why, but something's different around him. Maybe it's his smile, his posture, the way he laughs, or how he always watching out for everyone. He's just such a nice guy, I will never understand why he comes here every day with a ton of younger boys. I mean, he probably has girls swoonin' and falling to his knees at his school, I would just never imagine a guy like him spending his entire summer here. Guess he really is committed to baseball.

Anyways, back on track. This morning I flung myself out of bed (same time as usual), however the minute I stepped outside I felt the most overwhelming heat I had ever experienced, so I had to run back inside to change into something light.

In the newest edition of "Teen Magazine", I saw this girl use this thing called a claw clip, to put her hair up, so I found one in grandma's closet and decided to use it. It made the cutest fluffy ponytail, so I paired it with a tiny tank top and loose shorts. That should be better for the weather.

-

I barely made it to the sandlot even after changing into something more delicate. It's almost 100 degrees, no fuckin' way I'm playing ball today.

I walked through the disheveled gate into the lot to find six boys sitting in the dugout with Coke bottles pressed against their foreheads in agony. Upon closer inspection, it appeared they were arguing about something.

"C'mon Benny, we can't play today. Besides, Squints, Yeah Yeah, and Elle aren't even here!" DeNunez exclaimed as he wiped the sweat off the back of his neck.

"I'm here now!" I holler as the group all turns towards me, sighing and giving me quick grins. I quickly skip over to the dugout and plop down on the bench, where all the boys explain to me how it's too hot to play in these conditions, which I wholeheartedly agree on.

While Benny and the boys continue to bicker back and forth, Yeah Yeah emerged from a pile of bushes, dragging Squints by the arm.

"Where you guys been? We've been waiting here forever already," Benny clamors as he hands Yeah Yeah a Coke.

"Aw, Squint's was pervin a dish." He mumbles and tosses Benny a new baseball. We lost our last ball over the fence yesterday, and since it's still forbidden to cross the fence (though I don't know why), we had to chip in to buy a new one.

"Shut up, I wasn't!"

"Yeah, yeah, you were! Your tongue was hangin' out of your head, and you was swoonin'. Oh, Wendy Peffercorn, my darling lover girl!"

"I said shut up! I've got a lot of things on my mind..." Squints grunted. The boy was extremely flustered, so he stomped over to the cooler and crossed his arms in anger. I chuckle slightly, but it's hard to be comfortable with the unbearable heat surrounding us.

"This pop isn't working Benny, I'm baking like a toasted cheeser! It's so hot here!" Ham cried out as he fell to his knees.

"It's 150 degrees out there. You can't play baseball, you have to call it for the day." One of the boys stated.

"You gotta listen to him, Benny." Bertram agreed as the group mumbled in agreement.

Benny sighed in utter frustration, throwing his hands into his hair. I do admit, his outfit was impeccable and looked even better on him when he was mad. Today, he adorned a baggy pair of jean shorts, a white wifebeater, and an oversized dark flannel hanging off his shoulders (with black Converse of course). Glad he knows how to style himself,

"Uh, let's vote then. Anyone who wants's to be a..." Benny then began to list out several foul insults to the boys, in an attempt to persuade them, "...raise your hand." However, we all refused, raising our hands.

"Yeah, I can handle that." The group chattered.

He shakes his head, staring at his shoes in irritation. "Fine, fine, fine! Be like that. So what are we gonna do?" The boys quickly began an uproar of laughs and chuckles, until everyone bursts into giggles.

"SCAM POOL HONEYS!"

*

sorry i'm cutting the chapter short, but it's over 800 words and the pool scene will probably be extremely long, so i'm splitting the day into two!

stay tuned xx

- alex