| chapter fifty one |

There was something so gut-wrenching, so eerie, yet also peaceful and serene about the summer morning of August 22, 1982. I swear I could hear the birds chirping, yet the sky was far from bright blue as clouds covered the surface outside my window.

Rolling out of bed, I yawned and lightly stretched, my sloppy, bedhead ponytail slouched against my shoulders.

"2:43..." I mumbled in awe.

I got home unreasonably late because Xavier and I couldn't seem to wrap up our conversation. God, we spoke until nearly sunrise, yet my feet became much too cold to sit on the hood of his car, and I decided to call it for the night.

I had also promised D that I'd come over to her place early so she could dress and doll me up in her finest attire. Despite having a gorgeous wardrobe myself, she outdid me with her designer shoes and luxury makeup.

I should probably call her.

The phone rang.

Static followed, along with a slight hum coming from the speakers. "Hello, you've reached the Harris's, Diane speaking,"

"Hey, D," I chuckled, sitting up in my overly warm bed. "Guess who just woke up..."

"Wow," the girl snarked. "It sounds like someone had fun last night. Do you have any updates on you and Rodriguez?"

"God, I wish- I mean, never mind that I wasn't with Benny," I stumbled over my words. God, first thing in the morning and I'm already thinking of him, just like the past couple of days. "I was with Xavier,"

Diane laughed through the microphone so hard I could practically hear her bright smile through the call, "Unexpected, but a valid decision. Assuming you smoked?"

"Obviously, it's Xavier."

"Anything cheeky happen?"

"Jesus D, nobody even says *cheeky* anymore," I giggled, twirling the cord around my finger. "The answer to that is definitely no; all we did was talk. Anywho, what time should I come over?"

"Way to switch the subject-"

"What time did you say? Oh, I can't hear you-"

"Come now, asshole, it's time to dress up!"

-

After a convenient bike ride with minimal sweat, I made it to the lavish Harris residence. Pulling up to this place never gets old—it's like seeing the Disney World castle for the first time in real life.

The girl wore long, micro braids that dangled all the way down to her hips and nearly tucked into the waistband of her cotton pajama set. She also had a slight glimmer in her eyes—a glimmer of mischief, like she knew something interesting would occur tonight.

She interrupted my thoughts, however, with a big hug and kiss on the cheek: "Ugh, you made it, baby! I'm so excited to get ready. We're gonna make you look so hot, he won't even know what hit him!" D squealed, grabbing my palm gently and pulling me into her abode.

"Who's he?" I questioned, confused yet still following behind her lead.

She laughed, "Oh, I don't know..." She shrugged, shooting me a slight wink before entering her—very bright, might I add—bedroom.

-

To skip the boring, invasive, and over-the-top details, we spent the next four hours in each other's company, helping each other get ready for the party. Thankfully, Diane had already set everything up—including the alcohol—the night before, so we were free to our own devices.