| chapter twenty five |

After we all stopped by our homes for lunch, everyone agreed to meet at mine close to twelve. Meaning, my room and I need to be put together in thirty minutes, which isn't a lot of time in my book.

I made sure to make my bed, wash any old cups or mugs lying around, fold all the scattered clothes on my floor, and wipe down my desk and nightstand.

Once my room was nice and tidy, I could fix myself up.

Since it's obviously a pool party (if you'd even call it a party), I wasn't planning on wearing any makeup, but I needed to find a swimsuit.

Scurrying through my box of bikinis, I landed on a muted blue set with ties around my back and hips. Quickly throwing it on, I brushed out my knotted hair and tossed it into a bun, securing it with a matching scrunchie.

I rinsed my face off with cold water to freshen up, reapplied sunscreen to my cheeks and a tinted cherry chapstick to my lips, brushed my teeth, and fixed up the chips on my nail polish.

I also put on a baggy white button-up I borrowed from Grandpa, as well as grabbed towels and snacks for the table outside.

And just as I placed the last bowl of chips down, I heard the doorbell ring.

Glancing through the peephole, I was greeted by Smalls, holding a can of sunscreen, goggles, and a snorkel.

"Hey there! Early I see?"

"Hi, Elle - and yes, I'm early for a reason." The boy clamored into my house and out to the pool, dropping all of his belongings on a chair. "Wow, you really meant when you said you had a nice pool!"

I chuckled, smoothening out my shirt. "Thanks, it's not like it's mine though, only visiting! Anyways, why'd you come early?"

Smalls rolled his eyes as he inspected the array of candies and cookSomethingious? I wanna know what went down between you and Benny. Clearly, something happened!" Geez, seems Smalls has really warmed up to me, cause I swear he was never this straightforward before.

"Well... I dunno. We just talked it out, that's- that's all." I stuttered out, making Smalls shake his head.

"Elle, I don't mean to interrogate you, but is that really all that happened?" Fuck, he's got me.

Fiddling with my fingernails I sat in silence before eventually breaking. "Fine. But I swear if you tell any of the boys, I'll fucking bash your brains in. Got it?" The boy gulped and nodded so I continued. "To sum it up, I ran to his house in the middle of the night in the rain - super cliche I know - but I went to his house and banged on his window, and it was super dramatic and stupid, but we talked it out and I slept over at his. That's it."

Smalls's eyes had grown very large, as his jaw was unhinged, gaping wide open. "Yall... yall fucked?" The boy whispered.

"GOOD GOD NO! You're too young to use that word, jesus. Let me say it one more time, no - we didn't do anything, I just spent the night at his place because it was pouring and I was soaked. End of conversation!"

"Can't say I'm surprised." Smalls chuckled out through a tiny smirk.

"OOH I'M GONNA KILL Y-" The ringing of the doorbell quickly cut me off, as ran to the door to let DeNunez, Yeah Yeah, and Squints in.

"Damn, you got a nice crib, Elle!" DeNunez chanted.

"Thank my grandparents for that one."

-

The boys all slowly trickled in one by one after that, until everyone had arrived except for one.

"Hey, where's Benny at man? Gotta give him his hat back."