Chapter 11

It has been about a day now since they brought Tommy back. He's been unconscious the entire time. Phil put him in the guest room, as well as putting multiple blankets around the room.

 He said it was because they didn't know what kind of avian Tommy was, and that they probably wouldn't until a few days when his feathers un-fluff. The only thing they know about him now is that his wings are bright red with highlights, but that doesn't tell them anything because some avians wing color doesn't match their species. 

For example, an avian could be a kestrel as well as have bright pink wings. Occurrences like that are pretty rare though. But this kid never fails to surprise, so...

Phil also said it was because they didn't know if he was a predatory bird or not, and they would continue to be clueless until the kid's instincts kick in; and he'd want somewhere to hide himself or his things. The blankets were for nesting material, of course.

Wilbur was sitting on couch in the living room, watching the T.V while the news was on. It was talking about some drama that happened at the Gambler's District or something. Apparently, two newbie heros who didn't know the city ground rules and attacked the auction house. Ace stopped them. 

Supposedly, he killed one of them and hospitalized the other. Well, he supposes things like that happen every once in a while. Some new vigilante or hero won't know their place and step out of line, and they'll have to deal with the consequences. That's on them though.

Out of nowhere, he hears a loud thud, followed by a loud chirp. Wilbur instinctively jumped up off of the couch and started running to Tommy's room. He slammed the door open only to see a crying Tommy on the floor beside the bed, head dug into the floor and wings spread out on top him.

Wilbur inhaled, "PHILLLL!! THE BIRD IS AWAKE!!" He turned his head and shouted into the hallway. Not long after, Phil came running down the hallway and into the room and snorted when he saw Tommy.

Phil walked towards Tommy, who was still on the floor. "It'll take a bit to fully get used to the new center of gravity." He squat down in front of the kid, his large, slightly iridescent black wings slightly spread.

Tommy lifted his head off the ground and jumped slightly when he saw Philza, startled. His eyes moved to Phil's wings. For a moment, Tommy's dull blue eyes lit up with wonder, and he reached out his not occupied hand and did a grabby motion.

Philza smiled and moved his giant wings in and out a few times, watching as the kid's blown eyes followed them. "Pft, look at his pupils. He's totally out of it." Phil shook his head. 

Tommy just laid there on the floor, still on his stomach, staring at Philza's flexing wings. He then turned his head down to his clenched palm, and then onto his back, where he too had wings. But they weren't as big or impressive as Phil's. His were fluffier. 

He looked back at Phil's wings again. He wanted to do that too. He concentrated and studied Phil's wings for a second and pressed his eyes closed tightly, thinking about doing it himself. 

Phil stared down at Tommy, who now clenched his eyes closed. He tilted his head slightly. Then, all of a sudden, Tommy's wings started to flex as well, some tiny feathers falling off. Well, at least this is a start.

"Awwww, Philllllll! Look at the baby bird learning how to use his little wings!" Wilbur cooed from behind him. 

"Since his wings were already pretty developed, his useless baby feathers should fall out in two or three days. Don't get attached Wil. He could have a family somewhere." It was true. This kid didn't look like an adult, he could be a teenager who ran away from home. But Phil couldn't just leave him. His instincts were already screaming baby-helphim-fledgeling.