An Aincrad Christmas, Part Two

Kirito

"So...what do we do n...," Kirito started but stopped just as suddenly. After Argo departed, so did Mito, claiming the last two of the previous three nights still had worn her out, and a nap was due. That leaves Koharu, Jaymes, Kirito, and Asuna alone at the restaurant for the first time in two days. The previous conversation (Kirito and Jaymes being exempt from the Christmas party the DKB and ALS are hosting, while Koharu and Asuna were invited) has left an awkward space between the group's four original members, one Kirito single-handedly. "Er, I mean...if you want to go, I'm not going to hold either of you back. I mean...if you got formally invited to the Christmas send-off party and you're refusing because of us, you don't need to-"

"Oh, that?" Asuna snorts in response. "No, don't bother yourself. I had no intention of going from the start. I'm not the one for flashy parties."

Jaymes snorts after that. "I think we agree for the third time, Asuna. Besides, those two guilds grind my gears. But you can still go, Koharu."

Koharu shakes her head, clearly upset. "I'd be honest, if Asuna were going, maybe I'd go too, but...it's unfair that both of you didn't get invited despite doing almost more than both guilds combined for the front. Hell, the four of us are majorly the reason we've survived without a casualty so far!"

"Okay, Koharu, someone's a little out of character. It's not that deep... Actually, it is. Kirito, how about we go invite ourselves to the party?"

"Maybe another time," Kirito chuckles. He almost suggests they clear up a few quests and get the few experience points to advance a level, but the prior conversation still has bad taste in Kirito's mouth. Not the party, no, but the season itself. He has no attachment to Christmas itself, and he's sure Jaymes could care less about the day too, but Koharu and Asuna are girls. His experience with girls, solely being his little sister before Asuna and Koharu, makes him believe the holiday may mean something to them.

"Do you...want to try it here?"

"Try what?"

"Having our own...Christmassy thing."

Jaymes seems to pick up on what Kirito is trying to do before. "Yeah. I know this isn't the best world to celebrate Christmas in, but Christmas is Christmas."

Koharu sighs and drops her head. "I appreciate the sentiment, but... To be fair, thinking about Christmas makes me think of home..."

Asuna, at the same time, turns her head away. "N-no, that's not necessary. I don't have anything prepared...and it just doesn't feel like Christmas in this tropical island village." As if the Cardinal System heard Asuna's plea and decided to work in her favor, the bright, mostly clear sky greys, and the tropical warmth drops several degrees in temperature as wind passes them.

And call it a coincidence, but from the cloudy blanket falls tiny white dots.

"N-no way."

"It's snow." Kirito looks as one of those crystals land in his hand. It is snow, unbelievable as it is. For one, SAO's weather system would match the outside world on several floors, but given its beta and official designs, the fourth floor couldn't have been one of them. And it's been December since they left the first floor, and snow had not appeared all month. Yet here it is on Christmas Eve as if it is a special event for this day.