She'll Always Be Our Friend

January 5th, 2023, Stachion

After defeating the Irrational Cube, Asuna and her friends departed for the seventh floor. ALS and DKB remained behind, embroiled in a meeting about what happened with Buxum. Now that there was proof of the secret murder guild, Kirito mentioned it was time for him to talk with Lind and Kibaou about it.

Two hours after their victory, Kirito, Asuna, and Mito returned to Stachion once the Teleport Gate was activated to escort Theano and Myia home. It was forty minutes past midnight when they returned to the empty town square, and the younger NPC was nearly out of commission. Asuna also knew it was Jaymes' birthday and decided it was best if Koharu got her partner to herself for a while. Kirito, for all she knew, was unaware and wouldn't miss anything if they said something about it in the morning. Mito spent most of the trip from the tower to the gate talking to them privately, so it was a quick farewell.

Myia and Theano would be the first NPCs Asuna knew of that traveled via the Teleport Gate, meaning Kizmel could do the same as once proposed. A short discussion proceeded between the three players and Theano: the golden cube's origins as a prototype for a pre-Great Separation war machine (the first time it was mentioned outside of the elven people), how Theano fell for Cylon, and the truth about the immortal Lord Pithagrus. That detail was not included in the original plot based on Mito and Kirito's reactions. At the end of the conversation, Kirito returned the fused silver key to Theano.

After bidding farewell to the NPCs, Mito turned to Asuna. Sensing the atmosphere, Kirito quietly stepped away. When he was out of earshot, Asuna faced Mito. So many thoughts bubbled in her head. This was probably the first time since November they had a moment for themselves. Mito strayed away when they found lodgings, and if there was a girl moment, Koharu was present. Yes, this is the first time Asuna has stood alone before Mito in two months and five levels.

Asuna had no idea what to say. Her mind was swimming with things to speak about, but none wished to surface. She didn't know what Mito did between the first and fourth floors. She didn't know how Mito survived and why she hadn't participated in any front-line groupings until now. She wondered if there was a chance that Mito would stay with them. But those ponderings were below another thought -- what Mito would do next.

"...Mito..."

Mito bowed her head, then shook it as if to deny a question Asuna hadn't spoken. "Your place is with him. With the three of them. You've found it, remember?" She turned her eyes to Kirito, seated on the side of a building. "By his side, correct?"

"Yes, but..." She turned to Kirito as well and nodded her head. "Right. That's the path I chose. Kirito, Koharu, Jaymes... They gave me a reason to live, grow, and fight in this world. I'll continue onward."

Mito smirked. "You're much stronger than you were two months ago. And yet, there I was, spending months gathering materials for a handcrafting shop. I heard all about the beautiful goddess on the front, two actually, and I happened to run into you thanks to Argo."

"Is that so? Hm... Be sure to add handcrafted clothes and trinkets, then Koharu and I will be your best customers! Oh, speaking of which..." Asuna reached for her neck and pulled out a necklace that Mito had given her some time ago. "I guess this would have been useless against the needles and the gas Cylon used."

"Maybe. I think level-1 poisons would have had no effect, but level-2 might be beyond the simplicity of the necklace. Maybe it would have taken more to paralyze you. There'd be no protection against level-5, though. But despite all that, I am happy to see you wearing it. And I am delighted we could meet again and that I could...be forgiven, even if it didn't mean much. Now, I can move forward without any regrets."