The Swordsmen Cry, Happy New Year, and Showtime

Kirito

Shortly before 8:20 pm, the New Year's gamble of twenty-two players would defeat Fuscus the Vacant Colossus and clear the fifth floor. Okotan would receive the Guild Flag of Valor by random chance, though it took him a lengthy amount of time and sowing seeds of mistrust before he revealed he had possession of the flag.

He had his reasons, though; he took Diavel and Jaymes' final words to each other to heart.

"When this flag...the Flag of Valor, dropped into my inventory, and I realized nobody had noticed and that I could hide it if I wanted—the thought entered my mind. I thought I could use this as a bargaining chip to unite the two guilds into one... But that would never happen. If the guild flag appeared in the hands of an ALS member, then the rest of you would know that I had kept it. How could we have a good-faith negotiation like that? It was a stupid dream. Once again, I apologize to all of you for my foolish actions."

A hard to visualize dream, but even Hafner understands the vision. "Yes, that was a stupid thing you did! So stupid, in fact, that it could have led to open war between our guilds! But...your dream wasn't stupid at all! I had a little dream of my own during that battle. If me, Shivata, you, and Liten could fight together so well, being in a party together for the first time, then maybe there was no use to all our bickering...Maybe we shouldn't split into two squabbling guilds, but form our ideal parties. And I'm not gonna give up on that dream. Maybe it won't lead to our guilds merging...but I'm not going to stop thinking about what-ifs. So...so I forgive you!"

Afterward, it was unanimously agreed upon that Kirito would hold onto the item until a day came when it could be used. The others also left Kirito's party for the sixth floor while they were to speak to Kibaou and ALS...which went as well as one could expect. Since only Kirito, Asuna, Jaymes, Koharu, and Mito were left behind, Kibaou was suspicious as to who helped them, but as promised, they remained tight-lipped. He also asked how they knew, which remained a secret to the five. Last, he asked about the Guild Flag, which Kirito materialized in front of Kibaou and ALS.

On two conditions, Kirito offered to exchange the Guild Flag to Kibaou. "While there are two, I need only one to be satisfied. The first is if a future boss drops the same item. In that case, I will offer this flag freely to the guild that does not receive it so that the ALS has one and the DKB has one." Despite cries from within ALS, Kibaou only nods to that. Kirito takes a deep breath and continues on. "Or if the ALS and DKB join forces to form a new guild. In that case, I will give you this flag instantly and without further requirements."

"...We...we can't do that!"

"Merge with those elitist pricks? You're joking!"

"Go and suggest to them the same thing! They'll tell you you're crazy!" Twenty-four pissed-off men draw closer to the party of five, though their leader is silent. But Kirito couldn't focus solely on Kibaou right now. He was mentally judging whether the staircase leading down or up was closer.

"I...I know the truth! They're not planning to give us the flag from the start! They're demanding the impossible from us so they can keep it and start their own guild!" That voice...that high-pitch, chalk-on-chalkboard voice that Kirito, Asuna, Jaymes, and Koharu know all too well.

The same voice pinned Kirito as a beater in the first boss chamber. The same voice accused Nezha of indirect murder in the second boss chamber. The same voice accused Kirito, Asuna, Jaymes, and Koharu of monopolizing the Elf War campaign on the third floor.