When Rain Falls, The Kind One Fights On

Koharu

When Lisbeth finished creating Rain's twin blades, she was instructed to give them a try-out. Koharu got to witness Rain's skills with one of the swords as she cut through the brisk noontime air, then the swordswoman unveiled her secret technique. To an unsuspecting player, Rain might look like a member of the front lines testing her technique.

All Koharu could think was how beautiful Rain's movements were. It was like Rain's not fighting an invisible enemy but moving to the beat of a song. Every movement is timed perfectly, from her feet taking steps to the motion of her arms. For Koharu, who has a taste for music as a former pianist, Rain is a living metronome.

She stops after a spell of time, then stares at the swords in her hands. "Hmmm."

"Is it not good enough?" Jaymes inquires.

"Net...excuse me, no, I think it's good. The weight's right, and the parameters are good. This should be good for now."

"For now?" Offended, Lisbeth starts to bark again at the redhead warrior. "It would bother me more if you treated this as a stopgap after all of our hard work!"

Koharu shudders as a wave of intense energy emits from Lisbeth's being. She worked hard to gather the materials and to forge the swords, so to have her creations implied to be inadequate must be disappointing. It's another thing Koharu can relate to. "Are you mad, Lisbeth?"

"Just with myself! On my honor, Rain, I will make you a pair of swords that you'll love! I won't leave you alone until I get you to say that I've made you what you wanted!"

Rain seems to realize how Lisbeth feels and brandishes a smile. "Spasibo, Lisbeth. Thank you. But no, I am truly happy with these blades. There's just something missing... Oh, I know." Her eyes lock on to Jaymes and she skitters close to Koharu's partner. Too close, like a fan to her idol, or like a girl to her boyfriend...and that strikes a nerve with Koharu. She grabs his hands pleadingly and says, "Jaymes, can you spar with me?"

"Spar?"

"Yes. Maybe I fing out what's missing if I get to put them to a serious test."

"True...but have you ever dueled another player before?"

"No, I haven't."

"Then there's no point in sparing with someone who has. Though I am interested in seeing how you fight... Hey, I have an idea. We can knock out two birds with one stone." Jaymes slams his right fist into his left palm and glances at Koharu. "Rain, Koharu, you two will spar against the other."

"Huh?"

"Me against Rain? Are you sure about this?"

"Yes. Make it a half-health duel so it'll be more interesting and we don't kill anyone. Rain gets to figure things out, and you can practice fighting other people besides me."

xxxxxxxxxx

As the duel counter counts down from sixty seconds, Koharu feels her self-confidence wavering. Jaymes had convinced both her and Rain to duel each other, so now they stand face to face in the grassy plains. She darts her eyes in Jaymes' direction, who stands a distance away with his arms folded as he reads something with his system menu open. His expression is remarkably serious.