21

Christopher's POV:

With a final, reassuring scan of the paperwork, I took a deep, calming breath and rose from my seat. Stepping through the courthouse, I was flanked by my partner, Griffin, and another lawyer on our team, Kate. The click-clack of Kate's heels resonated on the marble floors as we approached the Judge's chambers. Today's meeting was crucial—we aimed to challenge the DNA request for the child's mental well-being amidst the convoluted legal proceedings.

Privy to the confidential details of the case, thanks to client-lawyer privilege, I understood the complexities entangling the fate of the young girl caught in the legal crossfire. Taking on this case pro bono was a personal stance against the domineering Head Alpha, a figure I had despised for years. This case was an opportunity to put him in his place if he dared overstep the boundaries.

Our meeting took place with the Head Judge of the Wolf Court, anticipating the potential high-profile nature of the case. Judge Ignacio, a kind elderly gentleman, adhered strictly to the law. Upon assuming their role, judges in the Wolf Court severed ties with their former pack to maintain impartiality, ensuring the Head Alpha's directives couldn't influence them.

Seated behind an old oak desk, Judge Ignacio, in his late 60s, wore black robes, his greying hair interspersed with sections of pure white. Wrinkles adorned his face, testaments to a lifetime of experiences. He gestured for us to sit in the room, and I settled into a leather armchair beside Alpha Rick's lawyers. Kate and Griffin positioned themselves behind me, with another lawyer accompanying Alpha Rick's legal team. The room held an air of anticipation, poised for the unfold legal showdown.

"Welcome to this meeting requested by Christopher Marks, the lawyer for Hope Mayson and Jack Travis, the legal guardians for the child in question," Judge Ignacio stated as he started the recording set on his desk. "You have the floor, Mr Marks,"

"Thank you, Judge," I said, tipping my head thanks to him. "I am here to request that the DNA summons for Elena Mayson be thrown out,"

"Your reasoning?" Judge Ignacio asked.

"Hope Mayson is not Elena Mayson's legal guardian, as stated in the letter, but she is her legal mother. Whilst she is not the child's birth mother, she is a legal mother to this child as per her birth certificate," I stated as Griffin pulled out the birth certificate that Hope had sent us. I handed it to the Judge, who studied the piece of paper. "Hope Mayson married Trisha David on October 8th, 2022, at a courthouse in Vermont, two months before Elena was born via emergency c-section due to Trisha having pre-eclampsia," I stated, again handing the paperwork to the Judge that Griffin handed to me. I looked at the defence lawyers and saw no surprise in their eyes; this meant they knew that Hope and Trisha were married.

"As per both human and wolf laws, if Trisha David had not married, then Rick Franks would have been able to be added to the birth certificate of Elena Mayson and given parental responsibility, but because Trisha did marry Hope, it made Hope an instant parent in Elena's life and means that Rick cannot be added to the birth certificate and given parental responsibility." I continued, and the Judge nodded in understanding of my words.

"Due to these facts, doing a DNA test on this child will amount to nothing regarding altering the birth certificate or the parental responsibility of Elena Mayson without the permission of the last living parent Elena has, which Hope does not give. Hope has clarified that even if she marries Jack Travis, her true mate, she will not alter Elena's birth certificate." I breathed in deeply and could see out of my eye that Rick's lawyer was stewing and brewing in anger. The lawyer was close to Rick to be feeling this. "Also, Elena does not know who her biological sperm donor is and only knows Trisha is her birth mother. Hope is her mother. She has now taken Jack as her father by her choice. To subject an almost 6-year-old to a DNA test would require her parents to tell her the truth, subject her to mental trauma and cause her upset, which I am sure no one here wants." I said, sweeping over the defending lawyers whose jaw was set into anger.