27

Hope's POV:

The scepticism lingered as I waited for Cassidy on the familiar park bench a week later. She approached with a carry bag in her hands, visibly straining under the weight of its contents. The tension in the air was palpable as I cautiously asked her about her success. Her history of deceit and hostility made it difficult for me to fully trust her, especially when her allegiance had shifted dramatically.

Surprisingly, she confirmed her success, claiming to have the journals I had requested. Handing over the bag, I noted its weight, affirming my suspicion that it contained something substantial. As I opened the bag and saw three prominent, heavy, leather-bound journals, I carefully pulled one out for closer inspection. Placing it on my lap, I could feel the journal's weight in my hands as I gingerly opened it to the first page, hoping these were the valuable records I needed.

The Journal Entries

Of

Cristian Franks

As I turned the next page of the journal, a dated entry chronicled the significant event of Cristian Franks mating with his true mate, Darla. Historical records from the Franks Pack indicated that this momentous union occurred when Darla was just 17 years old. The narrative unfolded with remarkable precision—nine months after their mating, Darla became pregnant with their first child, marking the beginning of a lineage that would eventually become eight children strong. The entry also detailed the fateful event when, while expecting their fourth child, Cristian attacked Edward Kane.

The information gleaned from this entry provided a crucial timeline, offering valuable insights into the events that unfolded during that period. Armed with this newfound knowledge, I had a clear direction on where to focus my investigation within the pages of the journal.

"What will you do with them?" Cassidy asked me, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Read them and figure out how a small pack had taken on the large pack of ex-Head Alpha Edward Kane and won. I think that magic was involved," I told her. "Other than Cristian's, which other journals did you get?"

"His son, Alexander, is the next Head Alpha, and Rick's father's, Julian." This was more than perfect, and it would cover all the years and more that I required. I could not believe that Cassidy had been so fruitful and helpful. She had delivered more than I could have imagined.

"This is amazing, thank you. I hope your children know their mother's bravery and the strength of her love," I told her, and she gave me a soft smile.

"I hope you can stop him. He is oppressive right now. I do not recognise him," She said sadly, and her eyes fell as memories swept through her mind. She loved Rick, but the man Rick had become was not the Rick she had fallen in love with. I felt sorry for Cassidy, an emotion I never expected to have. She had been an awful bully to Trisha and me at school, but now, here she was, as a broken-hearted adult and mum to two children who had lost the love of her life, but he did not die. It must be hard to have lost the love of your life but still see him walking and talking.

"I will do what I can, and I hope you find love and peace again,"

"You never know; maybe I will find my true mate," She said softly, but then her face morphed into pain and sadness. "But what man will want a mate who has been mated and had children with another? He will know I forsook him for Rick and will pass me off as Rick did," She beat herself up inside.

"If he does, it will be his loss and mistake," I comforted. "But if it brings comfort, Jack did not forsake me when he thought Elena was mine biologically. Perhaps your mate will be like Jack," I saw a flicker of Hope pass through Cassidy's eyes before it went, and she nodded at me as she got to her feet and left the park. It was strange to have gotten help from someone I once considered an enemy, but the lesser of two evils and all that.