42

'I'm sorry Trish, I failed...' In a whispered plea to the heavens within the confines of my mind, I prayed for strength as the remnants of my resolve faltered. Rick's head inched ever closer to my neck, the snapping and growling intensifying in defiance of my feeble attempts to fend him off. The ebbing tide of my strength forewarned me that I could not sustain this struggle much longer. It was a mutual acknowledgement between us; the impending embrace of his feral jaws was inevitable.

In that tension-filled moment, I sensed the sinister anticipation emanating from Rick, a malevolent eagerness fueled by the prospect of ending my life and obliterating the last barrier standing between him and Elena. The looming threat hung heavy in the air as the struggle for survival unfolded beneath the indifferent gaze of the heavens.

In the throes of peril, I found myself grappling with the weight of failure, haunted by Trisha's singular plea—to protect Elena at all costs. Regrettably, I had faltered, and Rick had succeeded in finding her. The gravity of my shortcomings pressed heavily on my shoulders; I had jeopardised Elena's safety in my misguided attempt to be with Jack.

As the impending doom loomed, the realisation struck me with a brutal force—I had put both of my loves at risk, and the consequences were closing in. Driven by insatiable malice, Rick sought to claim Elena, and the price for my miscalculations loomed menacingly.

I thought of Jack, our unborn child, and myself, destined to face a fate orchestrated by Rick's ruthless intentions. The image of Elena left in the clutches of the man who had harmed her biological mother gnawed at my conscience. Trisha's only plea had been to shield Elena from harm, and I had failed her.

The weight of my choices bore down on me, and the bleak future unfolded in my mind's eye. I envisioned a life of unhappiness awaiting Elena, forced into the role of the next Head Alpha. Desperation gripped me as I wondered if Alastair, entrusted with Elena's safety, could keep her out of Rick's sinister reach. Would he honour his duty, or would Rick find a way to shatter any remaining semblance of security?

Doubts crept in about Alastair's ability to shield Elena from the impending danger. Would ruthless and relentless Rick spare him if he was Elena's true mate? The track record of respect for true mate bonds did not favour Alastair, leaving a haunting uncertainty about our fate. The impending tragedy threatened to tear apart the fragile fabric of our lives, and the unanswered questions lingered like ominous shadows in the encroaching darkness.

My final few ounces of strength ebbed from my system, and Rick's teeth were so close to my neck that I could feel the tips of his canines against my jugular. Death was imminent, and soon, I would be reunited with Trisha.

"GET OFF HER!" A haunting, ethereal scream pierced the air, and at that moment, I believed my mother's spirit had returned. As the sound echoed, a colossal rush of air filled my lungs, expanding them with newfound life. A forceful upheaval disrupted the impending doom, tearing Rick away from me and propelling him with an otherworldly momentum towards the magical barrier.

After the upheaval, I sat up, my trembling hands instinctively reaching for my bump. The familiar warmth of my magic enveloped me as I sought reassurance. I connected with my child via my magic, feeling their heartbeat pulsating in harmony with mine. In that moment of relief, I knew they were safe and alive, shielded from the peril that had briefly threatened to shatter the tranquillity within.

I looked around, attempting to find my mum's spirit or grandmother's, but instead, I saw... "Trisha?"

There she stood, a spectre of strength and vitality, more vibrant than any recollection from the last year of her earthly existence. The soft breeze gently tousled her hair, an ethereal dance accentuating her spectral form. She emanated a substantial presence in the realm of spirits, distinct from the faint translucence that characterised the usual phantoms. As she confronted Rick, a palpable, magical, and furious force radiated from her being.