Chapter 26: Drowning

"Wow. Just wow."

Squashing my face against the glass of the window I scoff in awe of my surroundings. Mountains and lakes encompass the area whilst a huge black panther carved into stone crouches at the entrance of the city, the symbolism of T'challas suit making a lot more sense to me now.

Wakanda was beautiful. While I had heard multiple times about the scenery of the hidden city, being able to view it with my own eyes was something else.

As the jet descends I remove myself from the window and take my place beside Wanda once again. My thigh bounces up and down as the once distracting scenery disappears leaving the severity of the mission to drown my brain, no longer having the option to think about something other than the war ahead.

Wanda's hand squeezes my thigh softly. Her head tilting to the side scanning my face whilst her own is coated with fear. She tries to distort the emotion, preventing me from reading it but I can read her like a book. Whilst she argues everything would be ok I know there's a little part of her that is terrified, just like me.

My hand gently falls atop Wanda's, unconsciously stroking her knuckles attempting to find a sense of peace amidst the gradually rising chaos.

"Talk to her," Wanda's voice was barely a whisper attracting my attention back as my eyes had been glued to my sister who stands behind the cockpit her arms crossed and eyebrows furrowed.

"I will. I will. Just not right now." I shrug flickering my gaze towards the blonde for a split second before sighing and resting my head against my girlfriends shoulder.

"Everything is going to be ok." Wanda repeats softly her cheek laying atop my head. I don't reply knowing she was not only assuring me, she was assuring herself.

The ramp slowly drops revealing T'challa and the Dora Milaje army awaiting us outside the almost castle looking building.

Clenching my jaw I remove my head from Wanda's shoulder standing abruptly and moving towards the crowd, Wanda following close behind.

Laughter and smiles fill the air as we reacquaint with the Wakandans excited to see our friends again no matter the circumstance although the cloud of danger hung above all our heads oblivious to none.

A platinum blonde head of hair brushes past me marching towards Steve with no intention of stopping to so much as glance at me.

"Nat." I reach out for my sisters sleeve gently tugging her back to the jet ramp, nodding silently to Wanda who smiles reassuringly before continuing to follow Steve and T'challa through the castle doors.

Nat scowls crossing her arms over her chest in attempt to remove my hand. Dropping my gaze to the floor I clear my throat unsure of how to start the conversation.

"Look if you aren't gonna say anything I'm leaving, we have other things to worry about right now." Nat's voice was harsh, unnerving even. Momentarily closing my eyes I suck in a deep breathe.

"I love you Natasha. I know I don't say it often but I do. Your my sister and I should've kept my promise, I should've called or something, anything. I'm sorry. This fight-" I trail off taking a deep breath in attempts to keep my tears at bay. "This fight could possibly be the hardest fight we've ever had to face and I can't go in there without us being ok. I can't lose you too." My voice lowers to a whisper knowing it's the only volume my voice wouldn't break at.