Trouble

Sapphire POV

I never understood why Raven would be so gloomy about the fact that Hoya was going to be a dropout. I mean, he's going to follow his dream like Raven is going to follow hers. Of course, at that time, I was happy eating spicy rice cake with Raven, the really sad looking teddy bear.

"Something the matter?" I asked her as I stuffed a rice cake into my mouth. Raven shook her head and let out a sigh. I stared at her blankly, chewing at the same time since I was starving. I knew she was lying just by her face and when she glanced at me, she knew I knew.

"You don't know yet?" she blinked with sorrow filled in her gaze at me.

"Know what?"

"Your brother and I..." her voice trailed off into the distance. I tilted my head and frowned.

"Something happened between you and my brother?"

"We're not seeing each other anymore," Raven lowered her head.

I didn't know why I wasn't shocked. It felt like this was supposed to happen. Of course, I never wished or hoped this was going to happen! I wouldn't want this for the world! Something in my gut though, kept poking me though with curiosity. When did it happen? and Why? were the immediate questions that filled my mind to its top.

"When you fell asleep in the hospital, I told Hoya that we should break up," Raven sighed. "It felt like we weren't meant to be, never meant to see each other again."

Anger replaced my curiosity. How could she feel that they were never meant to be? They were so happy together they could cheer up the homeless people and fill them with hope. Then I remembered my brother, sobbing as he called me on his phone.

-Flashback-

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"She's gone..." Hoya cried. "Gone from my life, gone from my sight, gone!"

"Who?" I frowned. "You don't have a girlfriend.. or do you?"

"I wanted her to be mine, but..." his voice trailed off, replaced by shaky sighs and sobs.

"Stop crying like a baby and tell me what happened!" I scolded him.

When he explained, my heart shattered along with his. As his sister, I felt like I needed to protect him and keep him away from these kinds of things. Abrupt shocks were his worst pain and it was the reason no one told him we were leaving him in the dorm. He didn't seem to mind since after a few years we told him and he smiled, accepting the fact he was never going to come home with us. When this shock happened, I knew this was far past my boundaries. I wished I ran to his house, which was way too far, and comforted him right there on the spot.. but I couldn't.

I cried in my room, our phones never hanging up. We sobbed together despite how far we were from each other. It pained me to hear him cry and wail for someone he just met. The scars were burned into his heart and mine was barely just a scratch. I could never compare the pain of studying with the pain of hearing him complain to God.

-Reality-

That's why she thought it wasn't fate. It was almost deja vu a few days ago when Raven got hurt in the accident with Violet's car. She broke up with him so she could prevent the pain later on. I stopped chewing and stared at Raven, not even blinking an eyelash.

"Thank you," I lowered my gaze after a long silence. I felt Raven's glare burn into my head but ignored it. "You only wanted to protect him." I heard a shaky sigh as I raised my head and saw her starting to stress eat. I let her eat my portion too, despite my growling stomach.