𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT:LET'S PLAY

LET'S PLAY

SHE THOUGHT THAT BEING CHASED by the Hulk was terrifying, but she was quick to discover that being chased by an alien that lived inside of her girlfriend was ten times worse. She ran as fast as her legs would take her, yelling at any agents to run into the closest room and barricade themselves inside. A code was called, echoing through the halls of the facility. And although Natasha was scared, she was determined to make sure Willow―︎or rather the thing that was currently taking over Willow―︎ wouldn't kill anyone else. Natasha could take care of herself, and she knew that she needed to keep the alien focused on her.

The woman turned her head behind her, slowing down when she saw the alien no longer behind her. She cursed under her breath, pulling her gun from its hidden place at her ankle and cocking it as she kept her eyes alert. The halls were silent, the only sound being the faint blaring of the alarm that was going. Natasha's breaths sounded like thunder in the quiet hall. She walked back the way she had just come, one foot carefully placed in front of the other, gun raised, shoulders tense.

     "I know you're here." Natasha mumbled, holding her gun in front of her. "Show yourself."

     "You first." The alien whispered. Her voice echoed through the hall, not allowing Natasha to locate where it was coming from. The sound of scurrying made her quickly turn, gun ready to shoot. "A gun? Really? Natasha. . . you know better. You can't hurt me, not without hurting her." A chuckle. "We all know you don't want to hurt her." Natasha clenched her jaw. "If it came down to it, and it was between your lover and the hundreds of people in this place, would you choose her over all of them? It's one life compared to hundreds. Is she really worth all of this Natasha? We know that you're going to take her down. . . take me down. . . so what's stopping you?"

     Natasha didn't answer, because if she was being honest, she knew exactly what was stopping her. Her heart was beating in her chest no matter how hard she tried to calm herself down. "Nothing. Why don't you show yourself and I'll prove that to you?"

     "I don't think I will." The alien answered. "I want to play a little game. See how far I can take you before you break." And then in a singsong voice, "I know where they're hiding." She laughed. "I know how to break you in more ways than one. You want to kill me. Natasha? You'll have to catch me first." A pause. "Let's see whose faster. The Russian Assassin versus the out-of-world Alien. I give you a name. You make it there first, I don't harm them, you don't. . . well. . . I think you know the rest."

     "No." Natasha denied. "I won't put others lives at risk just to play with you."

     "Fine. Have it your way." She dropped to the ground, revealing herself. "I just won't tell you who dies next." She smiled a wicked smile and immediately Natasha started to shoot her gun. The alien went speeding down the hall and Natasha ran after her. She brought her wrist comm to her mouth. "Attention. Willow is on the loose and she's hunting. Keep prepared. If you see her, don't fight her, run."

Natasha ran faster than she ever has before, Willow's words echoing desperately in her head as she tried to find the alien. She refused to let Willow get anymore blood on her hands. She would die trying to keep that promise. Her eyes darted around the hall before she spotted someone she knew. Skye Reva had a book in her hands as she walked down the hall, her eyebrows furrowed as she read the words letting Natasha know that she hadn't a single clue what was happening. Her eyes traveled above Skye and just as she suspected, there the alien was, attaching to the ceiling above, ready to pounce.

     "Skye, watch out!" Natasha yelled, running towards the woman and grabbing onto her, pulling her out of the way just as the alien dropped from the ground. Natasha quickly started to shoot again and the alien hissed in pain as she got hit before running away. Skye stood there with wide eyes, turning her head to look at Natasha.

     "Was that―︎?"

     "Yep."

     "But the necklace―︎"

     "It works. She just accidentally broke the chain on it when we were having an emotional conversation. So, uh, the alien has escaped and it's set and determined to kill." Natasha looked at Skye. "Skye, we can't let it kill anyone. I don't think Willow can take anymore blood on her hands."

     "Beth and Wanda went off site to go watch a movie. Date night. I'll give them a call. They're probably our best shot at keeping her in check." Skye nodded. "Go before she gets too far." Natasha nodded and ran towards the direction the alien had went as Skye ran towards her and Sam's room to make a phone call.

     Natasha listened to the faint footsteps switching between the wall and floor. She made it down to the lower floor where the lights were suddenly cut off. "You want to play, Natasha? Let's see how well you can play in the dark." The backup lights came on and Natasha couldn't help but curse. This alien was seriously starting to piss her off.

     "Playing dirty I see." Natasha hummed. "You want dirty, we'll play dirty." And then she took another shot and a yelp could be heard, letting her know she'd hit her target. "You're not a cat. You don't have nine lives. I will do what I have to do to keep these people safe, even if it means taking down the one person I've grown to care for." She cocked her gun. "You wanna play? Then let's play."