Strong(1)

My breath was white in the air, this city seeming to be as cold as ice. I don't know why I chose to take a shortcut to Lorelle's house, maybe because I was tired. But I knew better, way better, than to choose Borbon Street. It's been known girls have been beaten to death here; gangs roam these streets all the time. I was digging my own grave to take this path, but at the time it felt like a good choice. Maybe not now. 

I felt chills crawl there way onto my skin, the eerie quietness literally making me terrified. I whipped my head around, hearing a slight crack of someone's knuckles perhaps? I wasn't sure.

"Sweetie, what's a girl like you out in a place like this?" A deep, low voice laughed. My eyes darted quickly, trying to find the source. I almost didn't see it, but his black hoodie couldn't hide his pale skin. My eyes widened, and I dashed around a corner quickly. This is how I die. This is it.

The steps his shoes made were quiet, but the night was even quieter. He was quick on my trail, I didn't have much time before he would catch up. I ran down what I thought was a street, but it turned out to be just an alley. Just as I was about to turn, the dark figure stood, blocking my way. If I screamed, no one would find me. If I didn't scream, I would have no chance of surviving.

My scream filled the air, coming out as loud as I could. I couldn't help myself, coughing after. He took his chance, running up to me and knocking the breath out of me. I hit the wall, smashing my body against it roughly.

Sharp pains rose in my body, starting with my head to my shoulders.

"See little girl, people like you- they don't make it out here. They don't survive." He scoffed, then punched me hard in the stomach. I hunched over, gripping my sides as I fell to the ground.

"Please...stop." I whispered, pain filling my entire body. He didn't reply, and kicked me in my legs and a few times in my stomach again. I continued to shriek, not sure of how I found even a slight energy to do so. My eyes started to have black patches blurring into them, but I could still slightly make out his figure.

I thought I heard another pair of feet, but maybe I really was losing it. I squeezed my eyes shut, my attacker laughing at my weakness. It reminded me, I should have really taken self defense class like my parents always urged. That was before they died, in the car accident.

A loud smash could be heard, and I forced my eyes open. What I witnessed was something unexpected, another man stood there, holding my attacker up against the wall.

"You're a sick, cruel man!" He shouted, his accent vivid and evident in his voice. My eyes started to flutter, and blurriness took over my eyes as well. The man, my Superhero pehaps, punched the other rapidly before the man fell to the ground. That was the last thing I remembered, the superhero rushing to my side.

-

"Are you sure that's all you remember?" My therapist, Dr.Julia, said. I nodded heavily, the sweater not feeling as comfortable as it was. She wrote a few things down, fixing her glasses.

"It seems as if you're attached to this, character. Or your so called Superhero. My goal for you, Raven, is to find peace with your superhero. Maybe go out and find them. Thank them?" She hesitated on character, as though she acted like he hadn't really existed.

"I've tried that before." I said quietly, the memory still haunting my mind.

"Try harder." She assured me, a broad, fake smile registering on her face. I actually hated her, so I was glad this was our last session for another six months.