Chapter 46 Part 1

This is me being excited about ending this book. We're almost there.

Father

I honestly thought my stint in Jace's office ended well. It was the first conversation I had with him in three days, and it was considerably better than the conversation before that... the one in the kitchen.

Realizing I didn't put on my seatbelt, I did just that before leaning back against the backseat of the Benz. The driver sped through relatively empty streets.

My mind was still left in his office though.

If Jace's only worry was 'my safety' and that 'I put myself in danger', it had to mean he could pick up things from where the meeting chaotically ended this morning.

Hopefully, he would bring Sierra back quickly because he needed the help... or would he? I couldn't tell what his next move would be exactly.

I closed my eyes and sighed.

Jace Black confused me. Normally, one could gauge the intentions of a person—whether good or bad. And that bit about a human not being able to hide his true nature. It would always show.

I have known him for three months now. And as I saw it, nothing about him was consistent. Sometimes, he appeared to care about me and there was effort on his part even though this was a forced marriage. They were small things like inviting Anyna's family to our ceremony, my engagement gown, my opinions in the wedding aesthetics, my birthday gift, celebrating my birthday publicly—

My eyes opened remembering how quickly that birthday/engagement went downhill. The birthday stunt was to sell the wedding as one of legitimate affection between the two of us. It was very sour and also very bitter with how it ended. There was Zeke and Claire Smith. And I had to add to add the story from my mother-in-law.

There was a blaring red light with how inconsistent with Jace Black.

I sighed a second time. But there was no reason to lie to myself: I did want to make it work with him. For all the good parts I'd seen in the time I knew him. There was potential in that.

I'd read enough books to know you shouldn't fall in love with potential. Jace Black had good potential. As a husband or a business partner... I had to know.

If I look at it from a business perspective, we did that. We would bet on potential and invest on it and the risk consumption depended on the investor. How much risk was I already consuming and how much more was I willing to take.

That involved research.

Research?

I sat up in my seat suddenly getting an idea in my head.

The driver glanced at me through the mirror, attentive.

"Yes, Mrs. Black?"

I cleared my throat, "Can you turn around and drop me off at Prestigio?"

The man nodded without question and signaled to the right in the next exit.

I pulled out my phone and messaged Jace.

I'm going to see my dad for a bit.

He replied within the minute.

Okay. Tell the driver to wait for you. I'll message him as well.

Me: Okay, sure.

I told the driver just that and I was chauffeured back into the business district and soon enough, I was in front of Prestigio's main office.