Chapter 57 Part 1

Not proof-read. Apologies for errors. And thank you for coming this far with me. I appreciate it.

Divorce

It was two weeks since Jace left for the Philippines.

Two weeks.

It took two weeks for my family to call me back to the Porter Mansion.

"Why now?" Sierra asked from the passenger seat of the car. She looked back at me, who was sitting just behind the driver.

I hummed at the agitated look Jace's secretary was giving me.

"I'm not sure, either." I replied.

My mother called at exactly two pm. I was at the Nero Headquarters. I picked up the call, putting it on loudspeaker while I flipped through a binder, scanning the contents lazily.

"Hello, mom."

"Be home by seven," was the greeting that I received back.

My hand paused, and after a second, I flipped closed the file I was looking through.

"Why?"

"A family meeting," was the vague reply my mother gave. Even more vague was the tone she was using. Curt yet calm, and somewhat... happy and grave at the same time?

My eyebrows drew together involuntarily, "And what for?" I asked.

I could hear my mom shrug through the line, "We've given enough time since Jace Black left for Asia. Of course, a family meeting is due."

Sometimes, I wondered it if wasn't weird for my mom to still call her son-in-law by his full name like a stranger.

Footsteps alerted me of someone's approach. I looked up at Sierra who was obviously listening in on our conversation. Her green eyes were narrowed beneath her thick-rimmed glasses.

That was an expected reaction. Jace did say he left his secretary to supervise me.

She mouthed, 'Why?'

I lifted one shoulder in response, just as confused as she was. I glanced down at the phone.

"Any hints on the agenda of this family meeting?"

The smile in her voice, "You'll know when you get here. Don't be late."

I paused, "Okay. See you, mother."

"Say hi to Sierra for me."

The call was ended before I could react. Sierra and I looked at each other.

Sierra had a look of concern on her face.

...

Going back to the present, I looked at Sierra's still anxious expression.

"I'm sure it's nothing serious," I felt compelled to say.

I wasn't sure.

Worrying her bottom lip, Sierra said, "I think I should call Sir Jace just in case."

I opened my mouth to reply but she held out a hand, "I mean this on strictly safety reasons. I don't think your father was too happy about not breaking off your marriage."

I paused. It was true. My father had consistently expressed his disapproval of our staying together. I wrinkled my nose.

"It's up to me," I told her. Hopefully.

Plus grandmother didn't seem too bothered. When I called last week, telling her about my plans for university, she said Jace already informed her.

But if it wasn't about breaking off with the Blacks, I wasn't sure what else there was to talk about.