Chapter 31 Part 1

Short update but oh well.

Unscripted

Maybe in another life, I would've been elated to be partnered with Jace Black. It was effortless for him to command a room. Everyone was dazzled by his easy charm and good looks.

But we weren't really partners, were we?

When the curtains finally close, I would not be able look him in the eye again.

"That's the last shot," the camera man announced happily, "Thank you for your hard work!"

Surreptitiously, I started to pull away from Jace. He noticed. But aside from a twitch to his lips, he let me go.

The crew clapped. They echoed the cheers as the cameraman went to the monitor to check the shots taken. Everyone crowded around him. There were murmurs as they discussed the photos.

"All of these can be used for the spread. Editing could be put to minimal, in fact I recommend it. The lens loves both of your faces."

I smiled, acknowledging the complement briefly. Jace made no comment.

"That's a wrap!" He called out to the crew, "I'll call Toby for the interview. Please head this way. You're almost over for today. The questions would be over before you know it."

"Yes," I nodded, "Thank you for your hard work."

"Jace," the cameraman nodded at him before exiting the room.

"Heard that Isla?" I tensed at his tone. That cold amusement slipped into the words were meant to be intimidating, "The interview would end quickly. Do you agree?"

Interview.

"What are you trying to say?" I asked back.

He smirked, raising an eyebrow at me. "Well," he breathed out in exaggeration, "Try to keep up. Jun was right about one thing, you look frightened."

I shut my mouth.

This aggravated him, "Silent treatment, Isla? Are you sure you want to—"

"Jun said you're ready for the interview?"

The man with Jace from earlier popped out of nowhere. He was beaming, in a suit and a folder of what were probably the questions were in his right hand. He had a recorder with him and a pen.

Ignoring Jace, I inclined my head in his direction. Toby, as his name was, waved a crew over. They brought out a coffee table and another couch. The others were packing up most of the equipment from the shoot and pulling up the blinds from the glass windows to let in some natural light. The city came into view.

Toby set down his things, turning on the recorder.

"Let's start?"

I directed it to Jace, "Whenever you're ready."

He was ignoring the interviewer altogether, and my question seemed to be making him even more furious beneath that charming exterior.

Did I want to know if he was going to make a scene in front of a person who would probably write about it?

My hand grabbed at his fingers and squeezed them, "Later. After we finish the interview."

An eyebrow raised.

"Please," I added.

Jace leaned in, smirked, then turned Toby.

"Let's start."