Chapter 58

Videocall

I wasn't even sure how Sierra and Tristan knew to come back, where they stayed, and who called them. But Mrs. Jefferson handed out the packed food to Tristan who politely got out of the passenger seat like the chauffer he was acting as today. Mrs. Jefferson even spoke a few words to Sierra, who pushed her glasses up her nose. Glinting green eyes looked in my direction with concern.

But my head was going a mile a minute with what happened inside my childhood home.

My grandmother stood up and left the dining room without a backward glance. And I stared at her back. As if a figment of some imagination I had, my eyes may have detected the slightest drooping of those hard shoulders.

"Isla," I glanced up at Sierra who stood by the open passenger seat.

Rubbing my eyes, I nodded absently. Tristan opened car door behind the driver's seat. Concern was also etched on his face. I murmured my thanks before numbly getting in.

Going home was a blur. I vaguely remembered Sierra trying to make conversation more than a few times. But I looked out my window at the passing world.

Time had frozen where I sat. But everything outside looked to be going on as usual. A tap on my arm jolted me back to Sierra. I looked down at what she held in extended hand. An unopened pack of tissue.

I blinked once... twice. Before comprehending why. Tears were silently sliding down my cheeks and dripping onto my skirt.

"Thank you," the words were so low I doubt she heard them. But she nodded as she placed the pack on my open hand. My fingers loosely gripped the item. It took two more seconds before I pulled out two pieces of tissue and started dabbing at my face. My eyes continued to follow passing cars until they completely disappeared as we entered my neighborhood. Eventually, the car stopped in front of Jace's house.

I opened my own door to get out. Sierra quickly got out too, holding the food Mrs. Jefferson packed for me. I reached out to her, trying my best to smile.

"Thank you," I murmured before looking up at her, "You don't have to come in. I'm going to bed."

I started walking up to the house before hearing a reply. I didn't have the energy to talk anymore. Good thing, Sierra didn't try to follow me. As soon as I got inside the door, I heard the car drive off.

And that's also when to sobs started.

Surely, there was nothing to cry about, I told myself. It wasn't worth it. The family I thought I had wasn't what it was. It was rotten manufactured façade they maintained for me.

But a deep gaping wound seemed to have opened up where my heart was supposed to be. And with it, the painful constricting feeling that seemed to be robbing me of breath. I gasped audibly. Once. Twice. Before loud ugly sobs finally escaped my throat and I cried right there. In the hallway. My palms pressed over my swollen eyes as violent my violent weeping wracked my whole body. As my knees weakened, I found myself sitting down on the floor my back to our front door.

My sadness echoed on the walls, bouncing back to my own ears. But interestingly, there was no thought with it. My brain was either a jumbled mess or it had completely escaped me. I wasn't sure. I sat there for a long time until I couldn't physically cry anymore. And then I blankly stared at the walls.

Belatedly, I registered a low buzzing. Slowly, I sat up properly. Looking around for where the sound was coming from. I glanced down, realizing it's from the leather tote bag I take to the office.

My phone. My hand urgently started sifting through the items inside my bag before I blindly found the vibrating phone.

Not even looking at the caller ID, I brought the phone to my ear.