Chapter 28 Part 1

My laptop's out of order right now.

Manipulation

"Why do you protect him so much then? Succumbed to the playboy's charms, Claire?"

I knew now that that person in the elevator was Zeke.

"The guy is getting married!" Replied Claire Smith.

"Well, who knows, maybe now that you realize he's marriage material you'd want to try to be the bride instead."

I burst through the main entrance of Diamante Hall. Without care for the eyes on me, I craned my neck in search for my father and the organizer.

"Isla!"

I stiffened, but quickly managed my expression as I turned to the man jogging in my direction. There were two of them.

"Tristan," my voice controlled, I looked at him over before glancing at the other man, "Vince."

"Well? Where's Jace? The organizers are looking for the two of you."

Vince hummed, glancing down at his platinum wristwatch. "Yup, you have ten minutes at most."

My brain assessed both males in hidden suspicion. Did they know? Were they in on this? Jace was their friend. I hated myself for seeing them as opportunity. These two were my best bet if I wanted to know more of the truth.

A smile came to my lips, "He's unavailable at the moment."

Vince frowned doubtfully. He glanced at the doctor, "Unavailable? On his own engagement party?"'

Tristan's eyes sharpened, as if catching on into something. My senses went wild at that reaction. He knew something. His guards were up.

My blue eyes focused on him, "Why, yes. He's downstairs in his suite... with Claire Smith."

It was instant, the response from Vince Miller. His brilliant green eyes bulged as he turned to Tristan. "C-Claire Smith? But I thought he—"

"Shut up, Vince." Tristan's stern tone was surprising. The man was easygoing in our previous encounters. His eyes on me were intimidating all of a sudden, "What do you mean?"

So they knew. They really did.

Carefully, I molded the serene smile on my face to one of innocent confusion. I blinked twice, glancing at Vince for effects before turning back to Tristan with eyebrows drawn together. "She's his colleague. Something urgent regarding matters in Nero Hotels if I remember correctly. Is something... wrong?"

Tristan watchfully took in my mask, "Did you see them yourself?"

I shook my head dramatically, "A hotel staff called Jace to his suite."

Vince cursed beneath his breath "And he went there willing—"

"Vince," Tristan warned.

Vince laughed nervously, as if only then remembering I was in front of them. He gestured his hand in front of him, "Why don't we pick him up for you? Surely, right now the engagement party is more important than... business."

Tristan was stoic, staring at me still.

So I directed my words to him. "You would do that for me? I can't leave the hall right now. I still have to attend to the guests."

Vince's tone was too chirpy, "O-Of course! We'd do that much. You're Jace's fiancée after all. Right, Tristan?"

I clapped my hand once, "Great! Thank you. But if he's still busy... I can handle this alone. Tell him not to worry."