Chapter 6: The "First Kiss"

~one week later~

I woke up to the sound of a battle outside. I don't even remember going to bed. I guess I had just been too obsessed with Trey.

One memory had flooded back to me in that one moment. Max. He was gone, and there was a battle.

Then another thought occurred to me. I might need to go check this out. I walked outside to see, and there was so much action. Some people were lying on the ground, dead, from both sides. Everyone was taking on at least one person. Some even had five or more. People who wanted to kill us came from everywhere. But they shouldn't have wanted to kill me right? I was part of the resistance, but how could they know. I was just as guilty of joining Alpha as Alpha himself.

Finally, the fight came back to mind just in time. A guy was charging towards me. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't fight in a battle. I'd have to use my innocence. Who am I kidding?! I was going to die!

Suddenly, Max charged out and took on the guy. He won and walked over to me.

"Looks like you needed some help," he said as if I didn't notice myself.

"It's not like my head was racing a million miles a second about how I was about to die or anything," I replied sarcastically.

"Now is not the time for this," he told me in a tone that meant he wasn't playing around.

"Okay. Then what is?"

"Are you blind?!"

"Ummm...no."

"If we just stand he doing this we'll both be dead, so shut up and follow me." I knew he was aggravated, but at the moment, I really didn't care. It was mostly just relief flooding through my body. He hadn't died. That was the best news I had gotten for the past year or maybe more.

Max stopped less than ten feet away from the spot he had just walked away from and turned around. "Are you coming or am I going to have to drag you?" With that, I snapped out of my trance and followed him.

Next thing I knew, we were in a small cave together. My heart was racing, and I was pretty sure I was going to pass out until he started talking. "So, they've finally invaded Alpha's camp," he started. "You have to get away from here. Go find the Hunter, Psycho, and Assassin. They'll know what to do. Tell them Max sent you."

"And I just leave you here to fight and possibly die?!"

"Pretty much!"

"Okay. Fine." After that, I did something completely unexpected. Neither of us saw it coming. I kissed him. No. Not like make out. Just a small kiss on the cheek that I maybe held a little too long. When I pulled back, he was stuck and couldn't move. Great! I broke the best fighter Alpha has. I had practically ensured Max's death now! I still had a question that he couldn't answer since he was just broken. Who are the Hunter, Psycho, and Assassin and where can I find them?

I dashed out of the cave and looked back before I disappeared. I stopped behind a bush when I heard Max talking to Meredith.

"What happened exactly?" That was the girl's voice so obviously Meredith.

"She kissed me." That voice was definitely the completely flawless Max. Oops!

"And?"

"Whatever. She has a crush! Who cares?!" He seemed so worked up about it. I almost felt like crying but held it back. I had to be strong, or I'd never survive.

I guess my search has to start somewhere. I walked straight and didn't stop.