Chapter 10: The End, Finally

(Heyyyy!! Okay so I decided to switch tenses so for those of you who leave comments on how I was just in the past tense yes I thank you but this time I want it to be in the present. From here on out because I have been writing Into the Light in present tense and I am finding it hard to make to transition so I bringing it all the present.)

I have to go find him. There's no choice. I'm not going to be able to survive. I know he's out there, somewhere. unless he's dead. No. I can't think like that. I have to find him. Now.

I walk off into the distance hoping it's the way towards Max. I need him or Zachary. Either will do. They're both strong and can take care of themselves. Though I did see Max doing pull ups on a tree. One handed and shirtless. Oh. My. Gosh. No one else could possibly look that hot. Anyway, that's not the point. I could be attacked any minute and be killed. Instantly. I have to keep going.

I walk for a few hours before stopping to rest. Knowing I'm not going to find him tonight, I crawl in a tree to sleep, but before I can even close my eyes a face appears before me. I jump back in surprise nearly falling out of the tree.

"Hi! Having trouble? You're looking for Max right?" said this mysterious guy with dark blonde hair that was almost brown and green eyes with a hint of blue staring at me expecting an answer, but I'm not finished analyzing him. He looks like he spends most of his time in the sun because of his tan and yet it seems as if his clothes are more worn, like they haven't been changed for a while, almost as if he spends his time hiding from everyone.

"Um. Actually, yes. I am. And how do you know him?"

"I know almost everyone. Except I haven't seen you around. What's your name?"

"Cassia. And who the heck are you?"

"Arix. Nice to meet your acquaintance, Cassia. Now I might be able to help you here."

"You want something in return?"

"In a way, yes. I want you to keep quite. You never saw me."

"But why?"

"That's beside the point. I'm not alive to you anymore. And we never met."

"Okay. Now, where is he."

"Just keep traveling northeast and you'll find him eventually."

"Thank you, Arix."

"Don't mention it." With that, he salutes and takes off, never touching ground.

I forget the drowsiness I had felt moments before filled with newly found confidence. I may not trust this guy but I think he knows what he's talking about no matter how sketchy he looks. Hopping from my tree, I headed northeast like Arix had told me. Eventually I ran into a little green patch with a cave not too far away but far enough to take a few minutes to get there. I decide its best to get some sleep so I start to make my way there. Before I could get too far away, I am surrounded by Alpha's followers. There is no escaping. It's probably best to stick with my innocent act. "Hi!" I squeal.

"We aren't here to...talk," one of the men say. Then I am bombarded with a few guys at once. My vision starts to fade around the edges and right before I black out entirely I see a comforting face. His face. Max's face...
*******~~~~~~~~~~~*******
I wake up and the light is blinding though it suddenly disappears. I sit up slowly and watch my surroundings carefully. I must be in the cave I saw earlier. Max is sitting at the edge and hasn't yet noticed I'm awake. I get up to walk over to him. He gives me a glance. "Hello, again," he says.

"Hi. Thanks for that," I say quietly.

"I couldn't just leave you to die. I don't kill the innocent ones."

"Of course. I didn't think you did." I looked down remembering how I killed someone innocent. I didn't mean to. I couldn't help it. I miss Caleb more than the world itself.

Max looks at me worriedly. "What's wrong?"

"It's just, I keep thinking about him."

"Who is him?"

"My brother."

"You had a brother."

"I don't know if I should tell you this or not..."

"I'm all ears if you want to share."

"Okay. I guess I should."

"Oh boy. It's story time." he turns to see me better.

"Well, my parents were always fighting so they ran off one night and the morning I woke up I found my brother in the kitchen killing my boyfriend, Ethan." I pause because of the part that comes next. Max looks at me not interrupting. "I got caught up in the moment and ended up killing my own brother. My sister came down and saw. She was never the violent type and I tried to explain but she wouldn't let me before running off. She hates me for it and I don't even know if they're still alive..." He looked at me with a sorry look in his eyes as he said, "I'm sorry, Cassia." I could only muster a slight nod. Telling that to him opened more newly closed wounds then I ever thought possible. I was sorry I ever told him, but as soon as I looked back up at him the look in his eyes had vanished almost completely.

"You should get some more rest. You need it." I felt the desire to cry and just let it all out, but I couldn't. Not in front of Max. Not in front of anyone...I just couldn't. (I am aware I changed tenses again)

Without a better option I walk deeper into the cave and dose off.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
I woke up to a loud noise outside the cave. I soon realized it was only thunder, but I didn't see Max anywhere. Suddenly, Max came dashing in the the cave shouting, "It's over. We've won!" This was it the end of war number 1.